Slowly rebuilding my saltwater tank

mbjnt

Turbo Snail
After being back from trip to Jamaica and snorkeling there started rebuilding my tank that was badly zapped. (former post I did, the return pump connection popped and made lovely fountain right into the electrical outlet zapping me and all the fishes). Was already planning to rebuild it before my trip, but really got going afterwards seeing all the wild coral and fish.I do apologize, like an idiot I did not think, hey, take pictures of all the steps for cool series on the development. So it's half way into the project. But better late than never.

I've done a lot of fresh water and paludariums (tanks with river system and land, so has fish, frogs, newts, all in one) in the past. So my last "build' was my first adventure in to salt water. Taking much slower this time. First time I started with 20 gallon and then ended up gutting my non-used custom tank using as paludaruim and transferred the 20 into the 65. Which then later I used the and build into a sump. So main guts I started with this time the 65 and 20.

The tank stand I had before was for a custom built paludaruim tank which was as long at my 65, but not as wide (was think 50 gallon or some odd size). So first thing I did is took the pile of 2x4's and 2x1's and made a new tank stand from scratch. Based it off the structure of the old one but it's deeper and taller. So the tank fits perfectly. Also I made sure it will fit some nice cabinet doors I am planning to pick up from Ikea. Painted it black to match the doors I want.

I cleaned out the old stuff out of the sump and tank. That was a stinky project in itself. The sump design, I still like, just needed good cleaning. The upper tank, I had to get perfectly clean to add new overflow. I decided to go with corner overflow and return. Before I had just the PVC overflow, which I will still do similar plumbing (hey, it works). But wanted the better looks and management with the corner boxes. To my shock when I painted the boxes using Kylon to bond to the plastic (don't want chunking in the tank), the cap was not the color of the paint! Darn can does not have a label for the color and had black cap (all the different color had different caps). Yeah... oh well. Brown matches the tank's trim. I used scroll saw to cut out the teeth for the overflow and holes for where the return flow will go. Then I painted the back of the tank black so don't see all the cables and pipes (used same paint as tank stand, so knew it was black).

Oh! I fixed the darn return pump that killed the tank! The adapter ring to the casing of the pump both are smooth plastic. So roughed it up with sand paper, and epoxy it back in place. I can't pull it apart now pulling with all my weight, so should be good now.

Pictures I have, tank stand start (but not done with out tanks... sorry), upper tank with boxes in it and back painted. And sump (sorry, need new light for sump, ended up moving it to wife's cichlid tank.

I'll try to post more in future if remember so show more stages verse all at once.

mbjnt

Turbo Snail
FYI, next step is pumping for tank to sump. Then plumping sump to tank. Getting fresh filters for sump. Getting new light for sump. Creating cross brace for tank so the two part tank glass lids don't fall in. Then adding water, more sand on top, and cycling the tank. I will then add plants in the refugium and maybe couple hardy fish in the top (like couple damsels). Which once all going, moving damsels down, and building up population.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
True reefer spirit! Glad to see you stick to it

Mermaid Gardens

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I like the rock work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mbjnt

Turbo Snail
Thank you. I've been though debating on needing more rock. But most likely will add some fresh live rock once going again to help with getting the other rock back up and going.

mbjnt

Turbo Snail
New plumbing figured out. Made sure on all parts where to find and get. Hope this weekend to start rebuilding all the plumbing parts. Really thinking about also trying a fluidized media reactor from Avast as one of the build your own kits. And adding a skimmer this time (last time did not have skimmer, but mainly had softies which were happy).

mbjnt

Turbo Snail
Got most of the plumbing parts and started assembling. Of course no matter how well I planned, required a second trip to the store. Will post pictures of assembled parts.

mbjnt

Turbo Snail
Rest of the plumbing parts came in. I've been slowly building it all. The overflow to sump pumping works well, and no leaks. I installed the sock filter on my sump today (got with the other plumbing parts). I must admit, the sock is a lot longer than I thought it would be! But the mount and all that fits perfectly like planned. Reactor comes in tomorrow (which I have to build it (part of the fun!)), and protein skimmer day after (Amazon had a sale on it, 50% off, to good of a sale to wait). I know I can "hope" to have it all built up this week. But with glues needing to dry, work, and schooling, will see how fast. Excited to have fish again in the tank. Soo close. Of course, mainly stating to remind myself, I need to install the ground fault protection before filling tank with water! Help protect from zapping the fish again.

mbjnt

Turbo Snail
YEAH, got my skimmer in today. Really the first one I've ever had, so bit excited. Already setup and installed. Installed the dual bulk heads for the water return. The one I planned on and cut the hole for was out of stock, so did a different one. Did not think, oh check the outer diameter. Of course, could not find my Dremel in the shed due to just getting the xmas boxes in it while snowing. But was able to expand the hole with my circuit board nibbler. Once rest of plumbing setup, will take pixs this weekend to load up. Don't know if my reactor will be finished or not.

mbjnt

Turbo Snail
Pictures of the Avast Reactor kit. Not in the picture is the soft tubing and valve attached to it. Also a baggie with a pen and sticker came with the kit which is cool. Was fun to build. Only things that was pain was the glue kept getting little strings worse than hot glue. Will have to wait for it to fully cure before sanding them off. And it took to little of time to build! lol. Might have to do more complicated kit in the future for just the fun. They have some nice Kalk Stirrer kits I've been eyeing. So far at this point, I would recommend their reactor. But won't really know until using it in few weeks.

mbjnt

Turbo Snail
Pictures of the progress. I've installed sock filter bracket with the sock. Also a hang on skimmer for 100 gallon tank (I have 65 custom + 20 sump, so plenty big enough). I was kind of shocked how well it fit, almost seems like it was made for it. Then the dual return on the top. I just need to attach the plumping to it this weekend (need to redo one pipe I cut which was about half inch to short...). It's all coming together nicely. Only thing I need to do is the sock connection to overflow plumbing lines up almost to much. So I need to add some 90 degree angles or the soft tubing will pinch badly.

mbjnt

Turbo Snail
Yeah! It's all coming together like I planned! By this weekend, I should be able to load it with water to test it (wish sooner, but need let everything dry and cure. grrr).

mbjnt

Turbo Snail
Finished all plumbing. I tested the skimmer and reactor first in sink to make sure no leaks. Took awhile and little modifications here and there, but everything is connected. I just need to finish the cross brace for the tank (It's a custom 65 really meant for vivariums, so thicker glass but no brace, so glass lid just falls in). And then adding water to make sure everything works.

mbjnt

Turbo Snail
Testing with freshwater to make sure everything works, about 4 inches from being full, my return flow box sprung a tiny leak. Moved water into overflow box and tested it and was able to get the water down to the sump tank with no leaks. So touching up the joints for the top 5 inches. Soooo close! Will see tomorrow if it all works since need to let it dry well.

Sorry about so many posts, just excited getting my tank back up and running with huge amount of upgrades. Learned from all the mistakes I made before. Lol, at least almost done with the project.

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
I love that your excited and DIYing the majority of your build. I do however, have a suggestion. Since you are using one return line with two return heads on top of one another I see an issue with even flow. Gravity is going to push all of your flow to the lower spout and skip most of your top spout. Another reason that this will be bad is your lower return spout may be directed at the center of your rockwork (depending on your rockscape).

Two very easy ways to fix this:
1. Place a pvc ball valve between the two spouts inside of your overflow box.
2. Place a locline ball valve on each of your spouts outside of your overflow box.

After installation you can adjust the amount of flow exiting each spout via option 1 or 2. This would be much easier to talk about directly instead of typing so if you dont understand what I wrote feel free to pm me and we can chat over the phone.

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
Also, if you have anymore black flex hose, I would replace it with the clear hose that will be around your fuge light to void any chance of coraline growing inside your hoses or reactors. Just a suggestion and not a huge deal, but it will save you some bi-annual maintenance.

Keep up the good work and post a link to the avast DIY reactors when you get a chance.