Tank background - options

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looking for ideas...

Setting up a new tank, and I want a black back, bottom, and one side. I do not want to paint, thinking down the road, and not wanting to have to deal with removing the paint.

Anyone try vinyl? Not sure how well it would hold up to magnetic glass scrubbers...

Or am I over-reacting, and should I just paint? If you paint, do you simply paint over rubber seams (on the outside edges)?

bruby

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have used pieces of cloth velcroed to the back on several occasions. I am going to do that on my new tank as well. I like it a lot because I can change the color every so often. Sometimes blue, sometimes black, one time I used a black sequin pattern that was pretty cool.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
bruby;228605 said:
I have used pieces of cloth velcroed to the back on several occasions. I am going to do that on my new tank as well. I like it a lot because I can change the color every so often. Sometimes blue, sometimes black, one time I used a black sequin pattern that was pretty cool.
Now that's an idea. Wardrobe changes for your tank. My tank is such a coralline factory that it wouldn't matter if it was painted or not. It's covered in purple in a NY minute unless I scrape it off every other day.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm gonna try limo tint, seems the most cost effective route at this time. I'll post up results this weekend when I get it.

Munch;228612 said:
I'm gonna try limo tint, seems the most cost effective route at this time. I'll post up results this weekend when I get it.
I've gone this method in the past with tons of success. The tint I used is available at Home depot in the window covering section labelled Privacy tint.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
TexSun;228626 said:
I've gone this method in the past with tons of success. The tint I used is available at Home depot in the window covering section labelled Privacy tint.
+1 I use the same stuff on my tanks and have had good results. You can affix it with soap and water if you'd like the ability to remove it easily, or you can use their adhesive for a more permanent solution. With the adhesive spray I don't have any issues with the magnetic scraper ruining the background...but with soap and water, peeling would be an issue at the edges. I just don't clean the back wall on the tank I used the vinyl + soap and water on...you honestly can't see the algae/diatoms that was growing on it anyway.

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I used plasti dip on mine. I used it in the spray can. its sort rubber-ish and stays a little soft and it peels off in one layer if you want to remove. Its the stuff you can dip you tools in for a new handle. Its held up nice so far.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Highway66;228695 said:
I used plasti dip on mine. I used it in the spray can. its sort rubber-ish and stays a little soft and it peels off in one layer if you want to remove. Its the stuff you can dip you tools in for a new handle. Its held up nice so far.
Interesting idea, have you used a magnetic glass cleaner on it by chance?

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I never clean my back glass, but i tried it just for you. Seems ok running my flipper over it. I would worry about peeling if i cleaned it alot though. I do have my mp10 mounted thru it.