1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Trident users

Discussion in 'Tank Chemistry' started by Haddonisreef, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

After a few days running this beast, I’m very pleased w the testing ability of this machine. Question: I bought the dos to work hand in hand w the trident and want to know how everyone likes the ability to have them working together that runs them.

2. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I’m running them together. I waited several weeks before I trusted it but am happy so far. Weird patterns of consumption are being shown. My consumption goes down for a day after a water change for instance. I love that it adjusts to it each day. .3 dkh change over a week seems like a lot now. Lol my colors and growth are better than I’ve ever had! It’s not auto pilot, still requires knowledge, but way closer than anything else has been for me.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

TheRealChrisBrown likes this.
  3. SeaMonkey

SeaMonkey Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

I am still waiting on having the trident control the dos 100% but I am happy with the trident in general. It has definitely shed some light on consumption. I am still trying to figure out how the trident determines how much to adjust the dos up or down. I don't see where you input the tank size so it can calculate what is required to adjust the dos.

4. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I wonder if it doesn't need the exact water volume because it would just add some, re-test, and then decide if the values are within your tolerances or not. If not, the Dos doses more, and the process continues until it falls within your preset parameters. If it tests alk being too high, it just skips dosing until it falls on it's own. It seems like the Trident is keeping things within a pretty tight window.

Just speculation on my part, but I think it has to do with how tight the Trident is striving to keep things in your specified window.

5. SeaMonkey

That makes sense. I might set it up and try and just see what happens. I don't think there is much risk in it going way out of line at this point.

6. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I’m assuming it goes off of trends. When you program automatic dosing you just tell it how many much you are currently dosing, not a water volume. Then you tell it weather or not you want it to dose more during the day or not. It will dose as much as 30% more or less than your typical dose. It the parameters fall too far outside the set limit it defaults back to your set dose.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

7. SeaMonkey

BRS has 6 month supply of reagent right now!

Haddonisreef likes this.
  8. Haddonisreef

I ordered one yesterday!

Dr.DiSilicate likes this.
  9. SeaMonkey

Nice I just got mine ordered today! Guess it gives me another 6 months before I have to find another unicorn.

Haddonisreef likes this.
  10. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

What's the shelf life on the reagents?

11. SeaMonkey

Neptunes says one year.

12. Rigo07

Rigo07 Cuttle Fish

I just order a trident and a 6 month supply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Haddonisreef

Welcome to the club!!

Rigo07 likes this.
  14. TheRealChrisBrown

Where did you find one?

15. Rigo07

Rigo07 Cuttle Fish

Live Aquaria

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheRealChrisBrown likes this.
  16. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

Best piece of reef equipment ever. Hands down one of my best purchases.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Haddonisreef and Rigo07 like this.
  17. SeaMonkey

So far it has been great for me as well. What testing intervals is everyone using?

18. Haddonisreef

4 times a day for me

19. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

I also test 4 times a day

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

20. SeaMonkey

That's what I'm doing as well just thought I would see what everyone else was doing.