upside down pale blue tang

I bought a 120 running system 3 weeks ago I have had the live stock in a qt tank from that time till now. tonight I transferred my 6 inch pale blue tang (he was swimming and looking good in the qt tank) It was an easy catch I put him in a bag (other fish had been transferred in this bag) As soon as I put him in the bag he turned upside down. I went ahead and transferred him did a 30 min. acclimation. when I put him in the show tank he took off and swam around for about 20 min. He is now laying upside down on the bottom of the tank and my skunk back shrimp is cleaning him up. I am worried what should I do.

Waiting by the computer for answers.

thanx
jim

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow - sounds tough. I am assuming that by this point he is either doing well or did not make it.

A couple of things that raise alerts for me is the 3 weeks maturity of the tank after the move and that a 6" tang was going into a 120g display (not a tang cop, but ya know...). I am not sure what your saltwater experience level is, so I have a bunch of questions that may help you in the future.

Did you test water params in both QT and DT before the transfer?

How were you maintaining ammonia levels in the QT? A fish of that size in a 30g would have spiked ammonia quite quickly. He could have been significantly weaker than you thought.

What was your filtration in the QT? HOB filter? Extra airstone? In my experience, running an airstone in a small QT with large fish is a huge benefit for the fish...

Where did the water in the bag come from? Display or QT?

Did the tang come with the 120g system? Why was he in QT?

How did you cycle the 120 after the move? It would be hard to imagine that you could have moved a running tank without a good amount of bacterial die off.

Why did you acclimate between QT and DT? IMO, if the salinity and temperature are the same, there is no need to acclimate.

Hope we can help...

Shawn

Last edited by a moderator: