WaveMakers? Mp40s are toast

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Since I recently set my tank up again, and my old mp40w's are probably toast and obsolete...

Is there anything on the market worth considering or should I just get mp40qd's? I'm more interested in performance than cost.

Thanks

Angelo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Neptune Waves suck and are ugly! The MP40 that I got recently has been the best. I also have a couple Nero 5s. They're okay. Had 4 Neptune Waves. One left.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
As long as the dry side is still working you can order new wet sides and they will be fine

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
As long as the dry side is still working you can order new wet sides and they will be fine
one isn't. Not sure about the other. I've been debating between those and the gyre style setups. I did order an mp10 wetside for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
one isn't. Not sure about the other. I've been debating between those and the gyre style setups. I did order an mp10 wetside for that.
I’d be interested in trading for your old mp40’s so I can tear into them! Coral or let me know.

quackenbush

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not everyone is a fan of the gyres. They get noisy if you don't reassemble them just right. And they loose a lot of flow about two weeks after you clean them, but I find that easy enough to adjust for. I love mine.

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not everyone is a fan of the gyres. They get noisy if you don't reassemble them just right. And they loose a lot of flow about two weeks after you clean them, but I find that easy enough to adjust for. I love mine.
I ordered them today. If I don't like them, I'll take the hit and see if I can upgrade my vortechs, or get new ones. I couldn't not try spreading the flow across my tank more.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I ordered them today. If I don't like them, I'll take the hit and see if I can upgrade my vortechs, or get new ones. I couldn't not try spreading the flow across my tank more.
Ive got two gyres on my 150 cube and agree with quacken. They loose flow but it can be adjusted for and they can be a pain to clean and assemble. They do an amazing job though and I love them.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I hate gyres. However, not like other people do. Most complain of them being loud and short lived, but mine is quiet and has been running fine for about 4 years (maybe less) without any cleaning. I have an xf350 or xf370 or something like that... the largest one at the time. I hate the static, linear flow. If I used them on my acropora tank, the fast growing ones (A. Carduus... dragons) would grow leaning with the current.

IMO, Tunze makes the best flow pumps. You can aim them, the are strong and last for a long time. I have some Tunze pumps that are more than a decade old. If performance is your main goal, then Tunze will win most battles.

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I hate gyres. However, not like other people do. Most complain of them being loud and short lived, but mine is quiet and has been running fine for about 4 years (maybe less) without any cleaning. I have an xf350 or xf370 or something like that... the largest one at the time. I hate the static, linear flow. If I used them on my acropora tank, the fast growing ones (A. Carduus... dragons) would grow leaning with the current.

IMO, Tunze makes the best flow pumps. You can aim them, the are strong and last for a long time. I have some Tunze pumps that are more than a decade old. If performance is your main goal, then Tunze will win most battles.
Are you using one gyre pump or two?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just one. Had two for a while (borrowed) and it was not less static... just two ways instead of an high number. Some parts of the tank still only move one way. Gyre moves a lot of water, but for me, it is action without accomplishment, for the most part... better than nothing, but still not as good as the Tunze pumps. I have a pair if Tunzes in the tank with the gyre right now.

I like to run the tunzes on their own controllers set to different settings at different time intervals... this way, it is as close to random as possible. When using a single controller, they sync them too much.

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok. Pretty happy with the gyres in my main display. I especially like the reverse flow feature. Does anything else out on the market have reverse flow? May consider changing the mp10 in my cube.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok. Pretty happy with the gyres in my main display. I especially like the reverse flow feature. Does anything else out on the market have reverse flow? May consider changing the mp10 in my cube.
what did you end up doing with the old mp40’s?

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
what did you end up doing with the old mp40’s?
Still chilling in a box in the basement. I'm going to hang onto them for now. I can upgrade them to qds, but only thing still good is the drysides. If I decide to part with them, I'll let you know.