What’s your tap tds?

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I remember checking the tds of my tap water a couple years ago and it was around 200-250 (I have Thornton water). That’s quite a bit better than our last place which was around 450 but at least it was well water and didn’t have any chloramines to filter out unlike here. I just checked it again today and it was 530 (I thought 500 was the legal limit).

Anyway, I just wanted to see what you guys are at and where you’re located.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Im downtown and mine runs around 225-275. Water here is also high in silica due to the aging water pipes in the city. I run extra Di to handle that

larryl

Clown Fish
Im downtown and mine runs around 225-275. Water here is also high in silica due to the aging water pipes in the city. I run extra Di to handle that
Have you noticed any change in TDS since the pH change they made in March? My TDS used to run about 170-180 pretty consistently before that, but lately it has been in the 80-90 range. I don't know if it's related to the pH change or is due to something else.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
No didnt seem to change much for me at all, and I was hoping it would helps some. I think just in my neighborhood we have quite a few very old and aging clay, and lead source lines though, so I suspect most of my tds comes from that since I have seen others in neighborhoods near me that run much lower tds from the tap, and the majority of the water is coming from the same source.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nobody really wants to hear this, but I had the same success with tap water in Missouri for fill and water changes and then using dehumidifier water for top off. The 1990s were different and I did not really have access to RO, DI or anything of the like until the early 2000s. Nothing really changed. I still use tap water for the initial fill - just let it aerate for a few days to get the chlorine out. All of this said, I know that RODI is better, but we might be arguing over nearly nothing, but why risk it?

I don't really sweat my TDS until it gets over 5, which is a long time for me here.

larryl

Clown Fish
No didnt seem to change much for me at all, and I was hoping it would helps some. I think just in my neighborhood we have quite a few very old and aging clay, and lead source lines though, so I suspect most of my tds comes from that since I have seen others in neighborhoods near me that run much lower tds from the tap, and the majority of the water is coming from the same source.
I got an email back from Denver Water - they said the changes in TDS are most likely due to shifting around the water source from one of three different reservoirs as various maintenance projects are going on.

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nobody really wants to hear this, but I had the same success with tap water in Missouri for fill and water changes and then using dehumidifier water for top off. The 1990s were different and I did not really have access to RO, DI or anything of the like until the early 2000s. Nothing really changed. I still use tap water for the initial fill - just let it aerate for a few days to get the chlorine out. All of this said, I know that RODI is better, but we might be arguing over nearly nothing, but why risk it?

I don't really sweat my TDS until it gets over 5, which is a long time for me here.
Is that your incoming TDS or when you change your DI resin?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I got an email back from Denver Water - they said the changes in TDS are most likely due to shifting around the water source from one of three different reservoirs as various maintenance projects are going on.
Interesting. Good to know. Thanks

Ouch, I'm at 700ppm TDS before any filtration in Commerce City, supposedly on an underground river with lots of CA. I go through DI Resin super quick....

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
700 is an ouch. yikes, I would not even drink that water. and I would make sure to run at least 2 DI stages