Where to get wrasses online?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Have had 2 issues this last week that point to getting wrasses for my bare bottom tank. Anyone know of a good place to get wrasses online? I live by glenwood springs and don't see a trip to Denver in the next few months happening. There's a few shops in grand junction (1.5 hr drive) but I just started a new job and can't make it over there in the next few weeks.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I've never seen my 6 line bury itself in the sand, but I have for sure seen my Melanurus bury itself. Some people claim 6 Lines can be bullies, I've had several over the years and never witnessed it. I found these 2 things on R2R:

All genera of wrasses with are active hunters unfortunately require a sandbed. The Halichoeres genus is no exception (Halichoeres melanurus). Some people have kept them in bare-bottom tanks, but this will have a long term effect on the stress level of the fish.

The genera which don't require a sandbed are Cirrhilabrus (fairy) and Paracheilinus (flasher), but neither of those will actively hunt/pick off little critters.
And this idea which may provide a suitable burrowing place?:

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
TheRealChrisBrown;366153 said:
I've never seen my 6 line bury itself in the sand, but I have for sure seen my Melanurus bury itself. Some people claim 6 Lines can be bullies, I've had several over the years and never witnessed it. I found these 2 things on R2R: And this idea which may provide a suitable burrowing place?:
I have seen the container of sand work others may be able to chime in but I disagree my flasher wrasse would bury itself when scared at all and sometimes not come out for two days. red/yellow/green corris wrasses are good hunters and I never had any aggression issues.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
I have had wrasses burrow in a container of sand so that will work, but for the sand itself and whether they need it or not it can be loosely based on genus. In general Halichores, Coris, Leopards, Pencil's, and Dragon wrasses need sand. Fairy's, Flasher's, Pseudocheilinus sp, Hogfish, and Tuskfish do not.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks guys! I'm looking at adding sand to this tank soon anyways but am leaning more towards the six line for now and then a canary and a flasher later on when I do a series of upgrades.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
What about lunar/lyretail/moon wrasse? Saw one at petco next to where I work. They also had a six line. Generally I don't go to petco but I'd like to get a handle on the problem sooner than later.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I believe PetCo purchased Drs. Foster and Smith and thus Liveaquaria last year. Chances are your Petco fish came from the same wholesaler as LiveAquaria's. I've picked up good fish from PetCo before, my Flameback Angel was in the Ft. Collins store for like $25. As with any new fish I'd still QT it....so I don't know if getting one in town or online really speeds up your timeline unless you don't QT new fish.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I do. It's in a small tank for the next few days.

flyfish

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Shoulds sent my six line home with you when you took the other fish.I have never seen him bury himself but my leopard and christmas wrasse do every night

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
flyfish;366183 said:
Shoulds sent my six line home with you when you took the other fish.I have never seen him bury himself but my leopard and christmas wrasse do every night
I was thinking that last night, oh well :)
Hoping to have multiple wrasses in my next build.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
TheRealChrisBrown;366175 said:
I believe PetCo purchased Drs. Foster and Smith and thus Liveaquaria last year. Chances are your Petco fish came from the same wholesaler as LiveAquaria's. I've picked up good fish from PetCo before, my Flameback Angel was in the Ft. Collins store for like $25. As with any new fish I'd still QT it....so I don't know if getting one in town or online really speeds up your timeline unless you don't QT new fish.

The petco in FOCO is a different animal than most petco's :p Casey works at the Fort Collins Petco and he knows reasonable care of saltwater. Most of the other petco's don't.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;366215 said:
The petco in FOCO is a different animal than most petco's :p Casey works at the Fort Collins Petco and he knows reasonable care of saltwater. Most of the other petco's don't.
The one in glenwood is decent. Found a pair of snowflake clowns for $30 a few months back - they have to move "product". I'd completely forgotten about it being near me until yesterday.