150w bulb in 175w ballast

ailachami

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
this is my first time using metal halide switching from LEDs. I have a 175w fixture I just bought and I ordered a phoenix 14k 175w SE. they sent me a 150w bulb instead. (on the box it said 175w but the printing on the bulb said 150w). I put it in and it turned on. should I be worry that I'm overdriving the bulb? is it ok to use or should I just take it out?

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think it will overdrive, more par for less time. I replace my bulbs at 9months and over drive them. My elecrtonic ballast has a HQI setting that pumps 10% more wattage, and I drive my 250's for everything they've got.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dont do it. MH lamps are not capable of controlling their own current like an incandescant bulb. This will push 175 W of power into a bulb that is designed for 150 W of power. This will cause a large increase in heating unless you have a very large fan (300 cfm or more) extracting heat from the bulb. Even in that case, I would not expect the bulb to last more than a couple of months, and without that the glass will likely burst in less than a week.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.