1st Post

jbuckeye76

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hello MASC readers. I've been reading posts on this forum for a little while now, and I figured I'd finally sign up to be a part of the local community. Theres a ton of useful information & people here, and seems like being active on here is the next step toward having a sucessful tank.

I've been running a 29 gal bowfront 24" 4 Bulb T-5, with HOB skimmer for about a year, but it wasn't really the set-up I wanted.

Prior to setting up the tank, I did tons of research & started off doing things "By The Book", but then got ahead of myself and started doing things "my way". I've made rookie mistakes, battled algee, lost frags & livestock; but I've learned a lot.

A few months ago I tore the tank apart to add a 10 gal sump - HOB Overflow, drilled return. Its slowly becoming the tank I had envisioned.

I still seem to be doing things by trail & error, trying to fine tune the system, but hopefully being a part of this board I can get the tank running with minimal maintenance so I can add a 75 gal to the mix!

Hope to see you all around.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome.

Remember, the only dumb question is the one that you don't ask. Can't wait to see pics.

jbuckeye76

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'll post some pics soon. I'd like to figure out how to display them in the post (I'm aware there is a thread on how to do this; just need to read it & I think I need to create an account on a 3rd party site...)

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

and the addiction we all suffer from !

Last edited by a moderator:

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm a newbie, too, and I've found these folks to be extremely generous with their knowledge, support, and frags. They're a little addicted to photos, tho, if you haven't noticed. LOL!

2sweet

Butterfly Fish
Welcome, helpful people here in this group and we are all seriously addicted
to the beauty of this hobby.

jbuckeye76

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lets see if I post these photos correctly:

I'm due for a cleaning as I was out of town last week, but figured I'd show it as is. Still have a lot of work to do to... I guess more photos once the tank looks a little nice & I can take some better photos

First a photo of my 1st attempt at its peak about 4mo in: Basically a rock wall that formed a cove, with some bridges... I liked it, but it made the tank seem small & limited coral placement. Had major dead spots & decided it was time to re-do when I was spending hrs+ pulling out GHA on weekly water changes.

Took the first down, added a sump & another powerhead. Opened up the rock-work: (That big clump of GHA at the top left is actually an Astera Snail... Still have GHA issues to clean up but its getting better daily)

FTS. Have a Tunze 9002 & JBJ ATO on the way from some early Black Friday Sales

bush8984

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Nice looking tank. All you need to know is never stop asking questions, listening to advice or posting pics :) Best thing to do is check out other peoples tanks and see all the different ways to do all the different things that can be done. But beware, noones tank is ever BIG enough for everything they see in everyone elses tank...lol

Best thing I've found for all algea outbreaks I've had is Sea-chem de-nitrate remover and phosphate remover in a high flow area in your sump/fuge. Just my lil bit of experience!