20l sump

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I'm moving out in a few weeks and finally can set up a frag tank. I have the frag tank, a regular 20l tank and a 10g that leaks. I want to build my own sump with the 20l and get the glass from the 10g.
I know you need to use aquarium safe silicone but that's about it.

What tips and suggestions do you guys have on design and manufacturing of th sump?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I'd just make sure you have enough room in the first and last compartment in the sump to house the return pump, skimmer and any other equip you want to put down there. Remaining space can be a fuge or just filled with live rock

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
In general, you just want the return pump section to be deep enough that you don't get suction of air while the return is running. But first, check and see what the recommended depth is to operate your skimmer...you will want the depth of the skimmer chamber to be within the appropriate range. From there, you can set the height of the other baffles so that the water moves between the chambers.

edit: if the skimmer requires a shallow depth that you are unable to work with (e.g. 4"), just go ahead and make it deeper and you can use pvc/eggcrate to raise the skimmer up a bit.

This may also help guide you...don't skip over the links at the end of the article :) http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

Last edited by a moderator: