60G Cube Anemone or Seahorses

MTMJR1992

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
yesterday i picked up a marineland 60g rimless cube with stand from The Fish Crew. Im thinking about making it an anemone or a seahorse tank. I want to see what you guys think.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
how tall is it? Because as I understand it seahorses need alot of vertical swimming space to be really healthy. Since it a cube I would say go with a nem tank
Seahorse also need quite a few other considerations, like a constant and ready supply of pods, perfect water, lots of plants for them to hook on to and tank mates that wont harm or compete for their food

I will say I have always wanted to have a seahorse tank because they are so awesome, but their care it quite a bit involved then most other marine critters we put in our tanks. Someday though i will have one though :)

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I say go with a turtle grass seahorse tank. Tank that big you can throw in some other fish like shrimp fish too.

MTMJR1992

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So its a 2'x2'x2' with a corner overflow. Im aware that the seahorse need fed regularly and its best to purchase tank raised seahorses that eat mysis shrimp.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Seahorses like slowish flow and lower temps than most marine tanks. I say go with a planted seahorse tank. Pick seahorses that are hardy, don't get too many, and maybe add some pipefish to the mix for variety without competition. Nem tanks are interesting, for sure, but there's more than a few of those around. A great seahorse tank is a unique and beautiful thing. But that's just my 2 cents. We've got some fun macro algaes that I'd be willing to DBTC to ya to get you started.

I vote seahorses only because that's my dream tank but i would get too attached and huddle in the fetal position for days if i killed one so i never build it.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Good_GReef;298219 said:
I vote seahorses only because that's my dream tank but i would get too attached and huddle in the fetal position for days if i killed one so i never build it.
Ya that would be my same reaction.

Ambrosio Aquatics

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
do a seapony tank! i looooove my little seapony pals! just be sure to make the return as broad as possible and low so they dont get blasted. they cling to anything the can and the more color in the tank the better. i would recommend seeding the tank a few times with a variety of pods before adding them to insure you have plenty of food available. they do like temps in the low-mid 70's. mine are eating freeze dried mysis and brine they aren't as tough as you might think as long as you design your tank specifically for them

MTMJR1992

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ambrosio Aquatics;298240 said:
do a seapony tank! i looooove my little seapony pals! just be sure to make the return as broad as possible and low so they dont get blasted. they cling to anything the can and the more color in the tank the better. i would recommend seeding the tank a few times with a variety of pods before adding them to insure you have plenty of food available. they do like temps in the low-mid 70's. mine are eating freeze dried mysis and brine they aren't as tough as you might think as long as you design your tank specifically for them
So how many gph should i shoot for in the 60g cube?

MTMJR1992

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
FinsUp!;298201 said:
Seahorses like slowish flow and lower temps than most marine tanks. I say go with a planted seahorse tank. Pick seahorses that are hardy, don't get too many, and maybe add some pipefish to the mix for variety without competition. Nem tanks are interesting, for sure, but there's more than a few of those around. A great seahorse tank is a unique and beautiful thing. But that's just my 2 cents. We've got some fun macro algaes that I'd be willing to DBTC to ya to get you started.
That would be awesome! im looking forward to the build