ACK! Tunze or Hydor?

SquidBreath

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey guys!
Got my new Hydors in, and the flow is great....
BUT HOLY SHNIKES THEY ARE LOUD!

jda123 graciously let me borrow some of his used ones to try out. They rattle to life every time they start, and clunk to a stop every time they stop. I figured that was just because they were older, but the new ones are just as bad or WORSE out of the box!

I am using the Hydor 1500s...has anyone used the equivalent Tunze stream pump on a wave maker (turnng on and off)? How loud are they?

Using the Hydor wavemaker or the Red Sea wavemaker (hard start vs soft start, does not seem to make any difference.

Can you tell me if they also make this racket? It's driving me crazy. And it's so loud I can hear it anywhere in the house when they come on.
If they were just continuously running it would be different, but the start and stop noises are bad enough I am afraid they are going that I am sure they are effecting the fish adversely.

Any advice much appreciated!
Thanks!
Dave

Badgervet

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tunze don't even compare to the Hydor... but that also includes the price. My tunze are dead quiet, but I only have one now in each tank (in a wavebox).

jagermeister

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Another option that might interest you, if you can wait a bit, do some research on the soon to be released Jebao wp25 wavemaker pump. They're the "little brother" to the wp40 pump that a group buy was just done for. There's a lot of information coming out about it and being posted on RC.

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've been burned so many times by Hydors. Finally gave up and dished out the money for Vortechs and never looked back :plane:

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sicce just came out with some pumps that are super quiet and controllable with either their controller of an reef controller. might be worth looking in to.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
In my experience, there is no substitute for Tunze or Vortech. You seriously get what you pay for when dealing with excellent products. The Korallias are good, as are others, but are on the next level.

There are always lots of brands on the market that are going to be the-next-best-thing, but they rarely turn out to be so - jebo are along this line, but their lights caught on fire, their heaters shocked people (or worse yet stayed on and fried tanks) and their lights even shocked people (how is this even possible?), so I am waiting. I don't mind wasting money (too much), but I don't need a tank crash with voltage or some kind of oil or epoxy leaking out of the pump (anybody rememeber the RIO pumps leaking oil and epoxy). I would let other people vet out these new products. So far, none of them have really turned out, so I am always skeptical.

You might try the mod in the post above - looks easy to do. My first 90G SPS tank had a sea swirl and 4 MJ1200s on that Red Sea Wavemaker that I loaned you - solid setup for the day and probably enough flow for a 40G.

Tunze are really big. I hated them because of this... which is my only complaint.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
yep hydors are loud, super glue the impellar to make it quiet. I've had to do this several times. there are plenty of posts online about it

GN138

Turbo Snail
I got a Sicce Voyager 2 a few weeks ago and it is silent, even when starting or stopping. I think it's a bit bulkier than the Tunze and Hydor pumps though.

SquidBreath

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey guys...thanks for all the responses!
I looked into that link you posted, Badgervet. I think the new hydors are built differently than the ones in the post. Unless I am just looking at it all wonky. It looks different from the one pictured and the impeller is backwards...no place to put the tube...
Cherub, what's this you are talking about superglueing the impeller?
I would love to make these hydors work...
Thanks everyone! Going to see if I can set up this RKL I just got to at least minimize the madness...