Acrylic repair

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a repair needed, it's not on a seam, but near the corner. Here's a top top down shot. The front piece (top in pic) is rounded, and glued to the side piece which is straight, that seam is red. My crack is in yellow on the front piece near the rounded corner. It only goes down maybe 1.5"

How tough of a repair is this? Can it be pulled apart without creating a bigger split, and adhesive injected? Or will it not seal right? I could inject as much as possible, then add bead of silicone on inside of that corner, to seal?

View attachment 18544

Last edited by a moderator:

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not sure if an acrylic sealant would work as a crack repair or not.

I can say not to use silicone though, it is not meant to bind to acrylic and will not seal it or hold it very well if at all.

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
Use weld on and just put it along the crack. The weld on should wick into the crack. Just be careful to not get any weld on where you don't want it because it will leave "melt" marks in the acrylic.

Why not ask fluid designers if they can help??

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Been watching some videos on the Weldon 4, seems straightforward. Drill the end, let the Weldon 4 wick in, dry, sand, buff. I can then seal the inside as it's an inner seam with silicone for assurance. I'll hit FD first, see what it'll run to repair.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;301924 said:
Ive read weldon 16 is better for bigger cracks
+1 weldon 4 is only good for tight seams since it is water thin. Weldon 16 has the consistency of superglue and can act as a filler that binds to the acrylic.

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not make messes in the house. -robert heinlein

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah 16 is great for filling in cracks. I did so on a fish trap I have. Works well, just don't get that **** anywhere else cause it will be permanent until buffed off lol.