1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Adding sand to a live tank... Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'General Reefkeeping Discussion' started by Cherub, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Cherub

Cherub Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

Hello,
    I am wondering if any of you have added sand to a live and mature aquarium? I feel my sand bed is way too shallow and wanted to add a good 60-100 pounds of sand. Is this a bad idea? I realize I would have a mini cycle but my concern is the cloudiness of the water and how it will effect the fish and coral. When I set up the tank and added sand, the water was murky for a week. My fish and corals would be "breathing" this in so I am apprehensive to add some. At the same time, my sand bed diminishes with every water change.

Thanks in advance!

2. SynDen

SynDen Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

I have done it a few times. To put the sand in, I turn off all pumps, and then take length of 1.5" pvc pipe with a funnel. Slowly Pour the sand down the pipe to deposit on the bottom. This way will minimize the cloudiness from it.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Cherub likes this.
  3. Cherub

How does it look after? Does it stay cloudy for a long time?

4. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I wouldn't do all 60-100 lbs. at once either. Add 5 or 10lbs a week or something like that. I use the same method Angel recommends above. It usually only stays clowdy for a few hours, clear by next morning. You could/should rinse it real well before adding it.

Haddonisreef and Cherub like this.
  5. SynDen

SynDen Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

ya, generally would only be cloudy for half a day at the most

6. Cherub

thanks for the replies guys. I guess I will try it in a couple of weeks. I don't know if I will do 5 pounds at a time though. That seems way too careful haha but I will rinse it

7. jda123

jda123 Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

Go slow.

The best way that I have found to wash sand is to put 5-10 lbs in a 5 gallon bucket and run the hose along the bottom until the water runs clear. This will take a while. I then let it drain until it stops dripping and then use it without worry about the tap water.

Be careful not to disturb the oxic areas and turn them anoxic - you can have a bacteria bloom from the death if you do.

A really small micron filter sock can really clean the "cloud" up quick.

Cherub likes this.
  8. scmountain

scmountain Amphipod

Go slow, it sucks but it is the best way. After I rinse the sand I grab a handful and manually place it to really minimize cloudiness.
    and +1 to a low micron filter pad

9. Cherub

Well what about live sand then? I'm guessing this will have a much less drastic impact

10. scmountain

scmountain Amphipod

I don't think the live sand vs freshly rinsed sand will make a huge difference, even when I slightly rework aquascape in my current tank it is still a living version of the best Techno song ever created..... SANDSTORM!
    hahahahah sorry this quarantining is making me lose it

still going with the grab and place method will disrupt the water column the least.

11. jda123

jda123 Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

Live sand is way less dusty, so that can help. However, it can still smother the areas of your current sand bed if you add too much at once.