affordable suplimental lighting

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
so I have a ton of power as far as halides go but I don't run them all day as suggested. I'm just looking for some affordable suplimental lighting I stoped by lowes and looke at the leds they have for under the cabnet lighting. I have also explored the led strip lights they are using inside trailers anyone attempt anything like this? any other sugestions? it is a 24x24x72 tank

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a 48" true lumen led strip light I could sell it needs a power supply which is $25 or less pm me if interested

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I would stay away from anything not intended for aquarium use. The LED lights used under cabinets are bright, but they are not the right specturm and do not provide the PAR aquarium specific LEDs do, your corals likely will not respond to them and may actually not like them, if you have coral. If your looking for lighting to have on while your MHs are off these types of lights will not work for coral growth. I would reccomend a couple retro fit T5 fixtures, unless you go with aquarium specific strip lighting or something like that.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can try them and see if you like the color. Since we have no hard proof of the specific spectrum corals like, and its just your supplemental lighting, try it. The problem I run into it that the LEDs used aren't very high wattage (1watt is high wattage to the average consumer), it might not be bright enough.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD