JF Violet Orange

andre

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got this at the DBTC swap yesterday, and Nick was generous enough to provide a piece plenty large enough that I can DBTC it immediately. I'll break off a piece when you get here. Near 104th and Sheridan in Westminster.

Pic?

andre

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh man so what’s going on? How can we help?
Ugh. I don't know. For some reason both of my tanks have started growing hair algae like it's on steroids. I got some Vibrant to start and fluconozole as a backup. I've been dosing the vibrant which doesn't seem to do much. I dosed the fluc in my frag tank and just over 1x dose. When I mixed it, some dissolved but much of it looked like snow. I put it directly in the tank (no sump) and turned off the skimmer as directed. In 24 hours, lost a 6 line and some corals, and many of them didn't look great. Interestingly, 6 anemones in there did fine. I did a couple water changes and turned the skimmer back on and things seem to be returning to normal. I didn't use a bubbler, maybe that was the issue?

So the two issues are first, where is all this phosphate coming from? I hardly feed the frag tank, and the other has never had issues for the 6 months it's been up. Second, what happened when I dosed the fluc? I need to do something about the GHA, but scared to dose fluc again.

NickP

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Did a fluconazole treatment that really stress my tank... Think I might have killed it.
Bummer man, sorry to hear. Once you get your problem figured out I'd be happy to give you another chunk of the monti. Let me know.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would not use fluconazole or vibrant to get rid of hair algae. You will make the problem worse not better the moment it appears they are working and you start removing it. Instead what I would do is manually remove as much as you can with a toothbrush and siphon while you do a 25% water change. If it grows back, repeat the process weekly until it's under control. During this time frame feed every other day or cut your normal feeding in half.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app