AI Sol help

I have 2 AI Sol Blues on my new tank right now, more to come later, but currently they are just plugged in without the controller and they keep randomly turning on and off. Idk what is going on. Any ideas?

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
bubbarockies;248114 said:
they Were Programmed On Until 11 Tonight. One In Particular Keeps Turning On And Off Every 15 Minutes. I EvenSwitched Up Power Chord.
These require some type of controller to run them if you don't they will run at 100% blues and whites which you def don't want. As for turning on and off it could be because they are running at 100% and the fan could be broken or not working causing it to over heat and it shuts it off for protection. Make sure your fan is running but I wouldn't run them without a controller.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
bubbarockies;248121 said:
I'm Planning On hooking Up The Controller In An Hour. But Do All Led's Shut Of When They Get Too Hot, Or Is It A Sol Thing?
It depends on the unit. Are your fans running?

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
bubbarockies;248172 said:
They were, but may not have been getting enough air flow under the canopy. I opened up some space and am going to put the canopy back on here soon.
What height do you have them at? They only need 1-1.5" of space at the top to suck air down over the heat sink.

They were almost flush with the top of the canopy. I wasn't thinking straight when I put them in i guess. So what I did was I cut out holes in the canopy directly above the fans so that air from the room can be sucked in through the fans down into the canopy and then out the back of the canopy into my kitchen. You think that'll work?

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
bubbarockies;248217 said:
They were almost flush with the top of the canopy. I wasn't thinking straight when I put them in i guess. So what I did was I cut out holes in the canopy directly above the fans so that air from the room can be sucked in through the fans down into the canopy and then out the back of the canopy into my kitchen. You think that'll work?
Yep that should work just fine.

OK cool. It seems to be working fine now. I have been home for a little bit and nothing has turned off yet. I think I may be chalking this up to turning of to protect itself from heat like you said.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
bubbarockies;248230 said:
OK cool. It seems to be working fine now. I have been home for a little bit and nothing has turned off yet. I think I may be chalking this up to turning of to protect itself from heat like you said.
Yea def sounds like that was the problem not enough airflow over the heatsink.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
bubbarockies;248232 said:
You'd think after 3 years at an engineering school I could have figured this out on my own! haha. Thanks for your help.
Haha no problem we always over look things. I've done it on multiple occasions.