Ai sol nano questions

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So i know according to ai that it lights up 15 inches when at reccomended height. Question is will raising it make farther spread. Does anyone use these. I would really like to swith to led before march. And i know three nano will not be enough for me but how many would it really need to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bruby

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use 2 nano over my 36" frag tank. They are about 18" above the tank. If I were to do it over again I would have used a sol blue at the same height for less money.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ai sol nano questions

Thats what i was afraid of. Looks like it will be a diy for me. I will be a dead man if i spend 1200 on lights no matter how cool and nice they are. I wonder how hard it would be to make diy sol fixture. Are the rb,b,cw all independantly controlled.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had the nano sol for about 6-8 months over my 28g JBJ and hated it. I could never get good coverage and couldn't keep decent color on anything. If you are going to go AI get either the full size sol or the Vega.

bruby

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think the color is great. The blue, white and royal are all controlled seperatly with the controller. I also use the Sols over my zero edge. I have two over a 42 inch tank with no problem. they are great lights.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
bruby;220131 said:
I think the color is great. The blue, white and royal are all controlled seperatly with the controller. I also use the Sols over my zero edge. I have two over a 42 inch tank with no problem. they are great lights.
The color they put off does look good but getting corals to hold their color is what I had trouble with. When I switched to a Radion all my corals immediately began to color up again. I had very little SPS growth as well. I know sevreal people who had the same issue with this light washing out corals over and poor sps growth over long periods. Perhaps I could just never find the sweet spot I don't know.

I think the light is probably good for softies and some other stuff so depending on what you keep it may or may not be a great light.

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Ai sol nano questions

I was dissatisfied with leds on my tank, i supplemented with halides

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

So has anyone tried both ai and radions or kesal. Trying to get a broad idea. Also has anyone tried the Vega

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;220561 said:
So has anyone tried both ai and radions or kesal. Trying to get a broad idea. Also has anyone tried the Vega

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Andrew call me tonight

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
All you have to do is go see Cris Capp's place to know that one can have an amazing SPS tank with either the Full size AI sols or the Vegas. I have had the opertunity to either own or play around with all three AI sol , Vega and Radion. In terms of AI I like the Vega way more than the sol this is based on color and functionality ONLY. To me it seems like the AI can be difficult to get dialed in to the "sweet spot" as not even AI customer service will give you a base line to start with.

Obviously people have been very successful AI sols but i was not not and I know allot of people who were not. Its just a theory of mine but i belive this is purley do to having too many color/intensity/duration settings and no real direction where to start. This is why I like the Radion so much they have already done all the testing and the software has several presets (10k,12k,14k,18k,20k etc) which just work and if you want to tweak it great you at least have a baseline to start from.

I have been eying the Kessil for a Looong time and one day i'm going to try one. The thing I worry about is I see few people relatively speaking that have them. Most that do seem to like or love them but if they are that good why don't more people use them? The same can be said for the AI nano sol. How many people do you see using these and claiming great success especially long term in the sps area. I went on a hunt long ago to find someone hoping to get some guidance for setting mine up. I posted on every major national forum. You know how many replies i got? ZERO! Well that not true I got some replies from people who didn't read the post and started talking about the full size unit instead of the nano. (not helpful)

One could argue that no wanted to post in my stupid thread but lets get real how many chances to people pass up to brag about their tank or their light? Ok so im done rambling on and will go away now. :)

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ai sol nano questions

Ok so i am now thinking of just doing a build. Heres what a am thinking. Please thoughts on this. i am going to build onebut open to opimions on colors and placement and if i hate it i am buying one of the big name companies. Also probably 80 degree optics except for the neutral white which will have no optics

3 panels 7 by 15 inches

R-B-R-B-R-B-R-B
-C-C-N-C-C-N-C-C
B-R-B-R-B-R-B-R

R royal blue
C cool white
N neutral white 6500 k
B blue

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ai sol nano questions

Thanks mike hope the colors just work well. And i am still undecided on optics because they are going to be 10 inches off the tank. I want full coverage but need the punch it is a standard 125 so 21 inches deep. I feel that maybe i can get away with no optics any thoughs on this from people with leds

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member

You could get away with no optics, but the light spill can get annoying. You could consider narrower optics along the sides, to use more light and not get blinded when you're eating dinner, but then you have a canopy, so it may not matter

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
H2O_intolerant;221884 said:
You could get away with no optics, but the light spill can get annoying. You could consider narrower optics along the sides, to use more light and not get blinded when you're eating dinner, but then you have a canopy, so it may not matter
That is why I built that canopy to handle the light spill. I hadno optics on my lights

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ai sol nano questions

Sounds good to me i will probably do this build after mexico now since my mp10 sale fell through.