Algae, mangrove and pod Tank Ideas and questions

Hello all,

With a planted tank of mangroves and chateo with a bunch of pods only say 50 gallons, would I be able to take 5 gallons a week from my coral only tank and switch with this planted tank to preform a water change? Sort of a water recycling tank. What are the reasons this would/wouldn't work?

Thank you!

spinycheek

Featured Sponsors
Featured Sponsor
It might be hard to account for the accumulation of chemicals that aren't nutrients like proteins and oils that can be harmful to delicate species. It would work for removing nitrates and phosphate and trace metals though. Adding a healthy bacteria based ecosystem to the mix will help break down those non-nutrients, but to what degree I have no idea.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Use it as a super refugium :p pump water through your main tank into it. PS. Mangroves are a ton of work. you have to clean off the leaves on a daily/bi-daily basis.

In that case would I be able to add a mechanical filter to clear everything else? Thanks Seth for that info. My intention is to have a tank that is relatively maintenance free that would be a super filter, but it will be a display as well. I would like to reduce how much water I use while im at it. So maybe I will have a super refugium! Would I still have to preform the 10% weekly change with a fuge that big? Is there anything else I can add besides chateo (ive heard that, red and brown scroll is good too, but am looking for easy to care low maint., ect)? My wife is under the impression this will look nice in her house :) She wants a planted freshwater, but if I can have a planted salt tank and a filter we all win.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You will still need to do water changes. The water changes replace the nutrients that get used up by plants and corals. Otherwise you would have to dose all the minerals that are needed. Dosing can get really expensive. The cheap solution is to just do water changes.