Algae scrubber

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So after reading several posts on here and on the net I decided to build one... I've tried everything else, figured I'd give this a shot too...

Here's the screen and pipe setup.

And here's the entire setup, minus lights. Ill run it off my main pump with a valve to control flow, and I just drilled a hole in the bottom side to drain back into the tank. I'm not sure about lighting yet... Thinking about stealing to submersible lights from my pond to light it... Should have it running by this weekend!

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Sweet! Post pics when you get it in place and running, incl. the light rigged up. Doing an ATS myself, got a perfect chamber on the back of my 60g's sump for it. Might build a light box though, so I can run a reverse photoperiod. The tank is in my bedroom.

Common view now seems to be that you would need a relatively large fuge/chaeto to export the same (toxic) nutrients that is achieved by even a moderately sized ATS.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Awesome. how's it working out?

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well I've been busy and lazy... The hole drilled in the bottom wasn't flowing enough so water was backing up in the scrubber... Haven't had any time to rethink the scrubber yet. And my wife was not to happy about a rigged trash can sitting next to the tank... Gonna have to rethink the whole thing.

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
What about putting it in the top of a wet dry filter with the boimedia removed. Well if your sump storage is high enough. Just a thought.

Throwing some of the mesh wrapped around a big bubble stone was an easy cheap way to get an in sump scrubber going.
I ran one for a while on a frag tank. There's a santamonica post on scmas some where with better build details but it's pretty simple concept to get going.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2