Alkalinity question

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
Over the past few weeks, I've slowly brought my Alkalinty up from 5dkh to 8dkh after noticing it was "low".

Since then, I've observed all of my montioporas struggling. One small frag has died. My rainbow monti has turned from blue to dark blue. And my undata has started to bleach. Today my croc clam stayed retracted in it's shell.

It seems like my system might like a lower dkh. Anyone had similar experiences? All other corals are doing well (acros, frogspawn, anemones).

I went ahead and stopped my Alkalinity dosing to see if the situation improves.

All other parameters are okay:
pH 8.2
Mg 1350
Ca 420

Thanks

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Alkalinity question

How often are you doing water changes? Which salt are using?

Sent from my C771

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've validated that my Alkalinity measurement is correct with both a Hana Alk meter and an API test kit, and I do a 5% water change every week. I use Instant Ocean Reef salt for now, but am going to switch back to the normal salt I think.

After thinking more about what's happened in my tank for the last month, I'm actually leaning toward toxin in the water. My hippo tang suddenly decide that it loved zoanthids and ate all of them in my tank!!! I have been frantically fragging them and moving them to my nano, but I completely lost some really high end polyps....

I just went ahead and added changed my carbon and did a 10% water change. I'm also going to go buy some Poly filter and stick it in my sump. Hopefully that addresses the problem. I don't think it has anything to do with my Alk.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Alkalinity question

I had a hippo eat about 1500 heads. They just do that. :(

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2