1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Anyone here add outlet.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Andrew_bram, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

So my sump is in the basement and I need to add an outlet. Can anyone here and a breaker and oulet. Access to breaker box is pretty easy I think. I need oulet to run some additional equipment for potential tank build/ add on.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

2. asn-naso

asn-naso Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

if you have an outlet in the basement already, its much easier to tap into that one and run a new one. Adding a breaker should be done by an electrician.

3. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Agreed..... But on the other hand it's not terribly hard to run depending on location and such

4. Andrew_bram

If I have to hire electrician I will. I can not tape into outlet because breaker won't support it. I have plenty of empty spots in my panel I just don't touch shocky stuff.

5. zombie

zombie Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

Might be worth hiring an electrician since technically you are allowed to do electrical work yourself as long as it's up to code, but if anyone that's not a resident of the home does the work and isnt licensed they can get in trouble (there is a loophole if they weren't paid for the work) and insurance can deny a claim if the outlet ever causes a fire.

It is pretty easy to do though. Just mount an outlet to a stud, run Rolex up to the breaker box with staples every 6 inches, and then turn off the breaker, terminate the cable with the black on the breaker, white on the neutral bus, and bare copper on the ground bus. Then turn on the breaker.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  6. Andrew_bram

Insurance can not deny the claim as stupidity is a covered loss.

7. zombie

If you do it yourself that's 100% correct. If a non-licensed contractor performs work or a permit was required and wasn't obtained and it leads to a loss they can deny a claim for that and/or sue the unlicensed contractor to recoup payments (depends on particular policy).

8. Andrew_bram

Yes they can sue if they know who did it. But no they cannot deny the claim

9. zombie

I may be wrong because I have never experienced it personally. That came from a article I read on Angie's list a while back. May be state and/or policy dependent, but this is what they say.

"Allowing work to be done by an unlicensed contractor could also void your homeowner’s insurance policy, should a claim arise as a result of that work."

10. Andrew_bram

I'm an insurance adjuster. Trust me I will not do something I'm not covered for.

11. zombie

You should be good then. If you decide to do it yourself or have someone who doesn't know code well help you, post up some pics and I can tell you if it's all up to code and if not how to remedy. Same for parts list if you need help on what to buy.

12. jda123

jda123 Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

You can do any work to your home that you want and be fully covered and without recourse (litigation). Having an unlicensed contract do it can be troublesome depending on the details and situation... and in most towns on the front range, it is against the law. In Longmont, an electrician needs to be licensed and insured by the State of Colorado but also the City of Longmont.

If you want to run the wires and leave them near the panel and where you want the new outlet, I can come by and "show you how" to do this... it is not even a 15 minute job once the wires are run.

In any case, when somebody asks, the answer is that you always did it yourself.

Haddonisreef likes this.
  13. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

@Diddle822 did my basement subpanel and outlets for me

Diddle822 likes this.