1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Aqua Scape (acrylic rods)

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Projects' started by Roxborough Reefer, Aug 19, 2018.

1. I am in the process of starting a saltwater reef aquarium. For the aqua scape, I have watched YouTube videos and saw individuals using acrylic rod to put in drilled holes in the rock. Where have you sourced your acrylic rods from in the Denver metro area?

Sent from my SM-G950U using MASC mobile app

2. zombie

zombie Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

Driveway markers at home depot. They are fiberglass not acrylic, but just as strong and reef safe.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

3. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

I got mine at Plasticare over on Oxford and Santa Fe. They aren’t expensive if you prefer the acrylic to the fiberglass that Zombie recommends.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

Cherub likes this.
  4. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Ya plasticare ftw. Although the club has a ton of neon colored acrylic rods you can purchase too if you want. Can't see the color once they in the rock anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using MASC mobile app

Cherub likes this.
  5. SynDen,
    What diameter and what cost

6. Djmm1177

Djmm1177 Prawn M.A.S.C Club Member

+ 1 for plasticare I’ve got a large ziplock bag of chunks left nothing over 8 inches I would give you but I’m in Loveland!

7. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

not sure diameter, maybe a bit over 1/8" inch thick. Generally sell them as pointers for frag tanks, but no reason they couldnt get cut to small pieces and used as pins. We been charging $2 per rod, which is about same price as plasticare
    1534717822580.jpg

8. I don't think I will be able to pick up in Loveland. Thanks for the offer.

9. I think I will try to go to Plasticare first and take a look. Where would I buy egg crate styrene?

10. kchristensen8064

kchristensen8064 Amphipod M.A.S.C Club Member

The lighting department at Lowe's and home depot has egg crate. It's also used as a light defuser, so they should have it.

11. SynDen

Np, they are worth checking out anyway. Reef Stars @ValG had a bunch of black eggcrate a while ago, likely still does

12. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Aia industries

13. I picked up acrylic rods on Thursday and I also got white egg crate styrene from Lowe's. Now I have all of my dry rock in a barrel with tap water, a power head and a heater.