1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Archit's Colorado build!

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by Archit, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Archit

Archit Copepod Platinum Sponsor M.A.S.C Club Member

Well ... our basement seems like it's coming close to a finish, so time to start planning out a build :)

Most of you probably don't know, but I used to own a store back in Boston (Love The Reef) that we had to sell when we decided to move to this gorgeous sunny state; so needless to say, we'll be doing something similar here -- start out small (in the house) until we make a lot of friends and get the name out, and then get kicked out of the house into a retail location by the wife because she doesn't want too much foot traffic in the house :tearsofjoy:

In any case, plan is to have 3-5 separate systems.

1) My feather in the hat -- Miracles 275g will be pretty basic setup: Tank on top, sump in the bottom, and a frag tank attached to it.

2) 1-3 standalone systems like Red Sea Reefer or the like // my wife REALLY wants a clownfish and nem tank; thinking about getting a Red Sea Reefer 170 or 250 to keep her happy, load it up with 20-30 clowns with a bunch of colorful nems

3) This is going to be the most interesting setup as I have never setup something like this before. 3 x 8' frag tanks, feeding into each other, all connected to a massive 3-tank sump underneath.

The 275g is still in the crate, and Red Sea Reefer tank(s) are in process of being ordered. Once the basement is fully finished, I'll start taking pics and documenting the build. But for now, happy to share the plan for the 3 x 8' frag tank setup as I envision it! Tanks and sumps have already been ordered from Advanced Acrylics and I can not wait to get my hands on them! :grin:

FragTankSetup.png

2. amonchak

amonchak Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Treasurer

Awesome!!

Can't wait to see how it comes together!

Cherub likes this.
  3. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

Sounds like you have things rolling wright along! Welcome to Colorado!

4. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Watching this! Sounds awesome. Welcome to Colorado.

5. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Awesome looking frag tank setup. I'm not sure I've seen the 3 sump thing like that before. Are they gravity fed to each other like the displays are? Is there any redundancy or fail-safes to keep them from overflowing if one of the lines becomes clogged? Welcome to MASC and welcome to Colorado!

6. Archit

Thank you everyone!

@SUS We're in SE Aurora

@TheRealChrisBrown the water in the sumps will rely on the properties of water wanting to stay level -- so it'll automatically flow from sump 1 to 2 to 3 as water is pushed up from sump 3; there will be 4 2" holes on the first sump at the end; 8 2" holes on the second sump (4 of each side), and 4 2" holes on the last sump at the end. Sumps will be connected via PVC. There will be filter socks in the first sump to prevent too much detritus from going through; but in general even if some does escape, it should settle down at the bottom of the first 6' sump instead of making it through to the other sumps. I'll probably end up using some quick connects in-case I ever feel the need to clean up the pipes .. or use something like this once in a while: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlisl...Green-Hook-Brush-Case-of-12-4110009/203948363 I might or might not do larger and fewer holes in the sumps -- still debating. I like the idea of 2" because that size is quite versatile in-case I decide to use the sump(s) in a different configuration.

On the frag tanks themselves, to be on the safe side I've requested 4 1" holes each for drains. Considering I'm planning to push only around 2000gph, they should be able to handle that easy imo. I'll probably end up doing some optical probes eventually though and connect them via Apex to play it extra safe.

- Archit

TheRealChrisBrown likes this.
  7. Archit

I meant to write 3/4" holes on the frag tanks ... not sure why I can't edit my post :-/

8. neil82

neil82 Cuttle Fish M.A.S.C Club Member

Welcome to CO! Sounds like an amazing setup.

9. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Editing posts is a club member privilege, so that's why ;)

10. Coralxchickx:)

Coralxchickx:) Copepod

Welcome to Colorado.
    I am excited to buy corals from local reefers. Excited to read/follow your build thread :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Cherub

Cherub Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

welcome, that's a nice illustration, gets the point across ;)

12. JodiI

JodiI Amphipod

Welcome! I'm also in SE Aurora. Look forward to visiting your shop/setup before you get booted. :)

13. Archit

Thank you everyone! :)

I would never call it a shop :p more like a ...... addiction cave! haha

By the way, a couple of updates to the plan -- I will not be attaching a frag tank to my 275g as my wife pointed out, it'll just look silly and not "go with the space" ... plus between 24' x 30" of frag tank space, plus another 6' of extra space in the sump below, I think I'll be able to house more than plenty of corals for what I'm trying to do.

Also, I ditched the idea of featuring Red Sea Reefer tanks, and will probably be going with WaterBox aquariums instead. Red Sea Reefer tanks are 20" front to back where as WaterBox tanks are 24" front to back (majority), and after having aquascaped / help reefers aquascape literally 100s of tanks, I feel that extra 4" will really come in handy.

Will report back when we've some new updates!

SynDen likes this.
  14. Archit

Well, after much much delay, tank # 1 is almost ready for water!

This is the WaterBox 100.3 (better pics and videos coming in our sponsor forum).

Let me know what you guys think about the rock work! I'm thinking about adding a couple more smaller pieces of rock, but this is what we have so far :)

20180516_083837.jpg
    20180516_083828.jpg
    20180516_083823.jpg

- Archit

SynDen and SkyShark like this.
  15. SkyShark

SkyShark Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Nice! I like the branch rock. Will you epoxy them together?

16. Archit

Thanks!

We only epoxied/glued the large rock on the left; everything else I'm planning to leave as is, as it is quite sturdy the way it is sitting. "MIGHT" epoxy 1 more other large piece that's in there, but trying not to :) primarily because initial goal was to have this tank be a breeding ground for nems, and I want to be able to take the rocks out should the need be, to remove the nems if necessary.

This is what we used to secure the rocks together -- works amazingly well!!

20180516_092953.jpg 20180516_092949.jpg

SkyShark likes this.
  17. Archit

Annnnndd after a long long wait, finally this happened!!!

20180607_165736.jpg 20180607_165805.jpg 20180607_174240.jpg 20180607_183453.jpg

18. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

OHHH! YA!!!

19. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

And this doesn't have water in it yet why....brahaha

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

20. Archit

Going to be a busy weekend!

Sent from my SM-G960U using MASC mobile app

SkyShark likes this.