Best DIY to save cash?

rplank

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
So there are hundreds of years of experience in this club, with lots of mistakes having been made and lessons learned. I would like to hear what is the best DIY project that the average joe can do to save money on a marine tank? Is there something that is relatively easy to DIY that people frequently pay way too much for commercially?

Tank/stand construction, lighting, plumbing, heating, chemicals, electronics, etc....

During my short reef experience, I have done a DIY overflow (saved $40), as well as a DIY light fixture(saved about $80).

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
stand construction and coral food
The commercially-made stands for tanks look positively wispy and frail as compared to what I've seen people make themselves for a lot less money. Plus, you get a much more interesting stand/canopy.
I make my own coral food powder and it costs a LOT less than what I see in stores.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
DIY stand, canopy, overflow, 2part.... plan on spending good money on skimmer and ro/di.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk 2

kyuubichan218

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
CindyL;262306 said:
stand construction and coral food
The commercially-made stands for tanks look positively wispy and frail as compared to what I've seen people make themselves for a lot less money. Plus, you get a much more interesting stand/canopy.
I make my own coral food powder and it costs a LOT less than what I see in stores.
How do you make your coral food? Is it geared toward a specific type (sps/lps/zoas)?

Sent from my ADR6330VW using Tapatalk 2

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think the best way to save money, is to stay out of this hobby.

But, if you are already in the hobby, finding a friend to frag and trade corals with is a huge plus, or even buying frags from other MASC members, instead of the LFS can save you money. But with that said, we still need to support our LFS too, as they will be there when you are in a bind.

2sweet

Butterfly Fish
Cindy, you should make package and sell your coral food mixture. I would buy some

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Patience will save you a lot of cash too. Equipment, even it if costs $50 more is just one fish or colony that you bought that might die in your tank.

Planning is also key. Start to collect equipment for that next upgrade months ahead of time so that you can find the deals and get in on some good used stuff.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
2 part (+3 on that)
Buy equipment and coral from folks getting out, so second hand save 50% or more
Buy bulk

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I think planning, learning from your own mistakes, and repurposing materials. My sump was a reused tomato bin that cost a grand total of about $75. I learned more from my own failures and asking questions than anywhere else.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Google search for used equipment. I have don't that and saved a ton of money by people selling what I need on other forums and having them ship it.

KCCO

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I mill and blend ingredients I buy in bulk that are listed in the powder coral foods, just in undoubtedly different quantities than they do. Not geared to any type of coral.
Anytime you want some coral food, Denise, just swing by. :)