Best paint for glass?

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I need to paint the back (outside) glass and part of the sides of a Nuvo 16. What type of paint should I use, and how should I apply it (spray, brush, roll, etc.). Not sure it matters, but I would like to paint it black. Thanks!

edit: The tank is currently empty.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Krylon Fusion spray paint. Tape everything off (esp inside tank) and spray away:)

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yep just like stated above, start w thin layers and try not to go to fast or it will run. Just make sure u can't see light threw the inside and it's think enough.

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fyi, you can also you black plastidip. Sprays just like spray paint but it's a thin layer of rubber instead of paint. The cool thing about it is that it will look like spray paint but it peels off like a stretchy sticker. I did it on my tank and can change the back without hassel! (Like if I wanted to sell it or something).

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Dont cleaner magnets have troubles working on plastidip though?

Meaning dont the magnets mess it up?

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've always just used vinyl. Way less mess, no masking, no chemicals and it comes off easy. Any sign place will sell you some for a few dollars.

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;319142 said:
Dont cleaner magnets have troubles working on plastidip though?

Meaning dont the magnets mess it up?
Sorry I didn't catch he wanted the sides too. Yeah the magnets would mess it up to hell. Only use plastidip if you're not going to use a magnet on that Wall!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
ThunderTwonk;319174 said:
I've always just used vinyl. Way less mess, no masking, no chemicals and it comes off easy. Any sign place will sell you some for a few dollars.
+1 There was a study a while back on par values in the tanks for different lights and one of the finding that they discovered is that painted glass drastically reduces par values around the edges of the tank. Even with lighter colors there is still a pretty drastic reduction in par values. If you use vinyl or some other cover that is not painted on to the surface you wont get the same par value drop. Has something to do with the paint being affixed to the glass where as vinyl and such gives, all be it tiny, some separation from the glass to the cover which prevents the drastic par drop. The study was on advanced aquarist awhile back, ill see if I can find it.
Needless to say my tank has the back painted black and I wish I could remove it and use vinyl instead but stuck with it until I upgrade.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
ThunderTwonk;319174 said:
I'll have to look into this. Do I just give them the dimensions I need, or does it come in a larger sheet that I would cut myself? Is one side sticky?

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
SkyDiv3r17;319186 said:
Sorry I didn't catch he wanted the sides too. Yeah the magnets would mess it up to hell. Only use plastidip if you're not going to use a magnet on that Wall!
This would possibly work. I am just painting a portion of the side where the filter chambers are (since it is an all-in-one) and not the display portion. I think it would still start to come off before I wanted it to. I will keep this in mind if I need to do just the back or a full side.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
SkyShark;319250 said:
I'll have to look into this. Do I just give them the dimensions I need, or does it come in a larger sheet that I would cut myself? Is one side sticky?
It usually comes on a roll, similar to fabric. You can just get a larger piece, and cut over sized and trim once its applied. Vinyl also comes in different grades, and with different adhesives, talk to a vinyl, or sign shop, and let them know it will be viewed "through" the glass, and what its for. I don't deal with vinyl much any more, but Rainbow Signs out of Boulder was one that I used quite a bit.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SkyShark;319250 said:
I wouldn't try to have then cut it for you. Generally it comes is varying widths from 12" to 36" and they can cut it to a rough estimate length. Its the same stuff they use for window and sign graphics so it is like a sticker. Just get a little extra and cut it with scissors or a razor and straight.

When you peel it off the paper make sure you have already cleaned sprayed the surface its going on liberally with plain water. Windex actually works better but i never liked the idea of spraying windex at my tank even empty and water works just fine.

Be careful not to let the sticky side touch itself when you peel it off. If it does your screwed the piece will be ruined. As soon as you peel the paper off spray the sticky side with allot of water as well this allows you to place the vinyl on the glass and move it around freely until you have it where you want it. Then holding it in place towards the top middle use either a credit card or small squeegee (you should be able to get one free from any place you buy the vinyl from) and from the upper middle press the squeegee firmly on the vinyl and pull down to pull out the excess water.

Once you have a decent section squeegeed it should hold itself in place and you can then go around the rest of the vinyl pulling from the center outward to get the rest of the water out. Wipe up the excess water with a paper towel and just repeat until you have pulled out as much water as possible and wiped everything down. The edges will appear to lift off easily, this is normal as they will still be wet. You can then let it dry for a day or two eventually the edges will adhere really well. I find that taking a hair dryer after it for about 10 minutes helps the drying process just be careful not to scorch the the vinyl.

If you have any small bubbles they should go away after a week or so. If you end up with any large bubbles you can use a needle to poke a few tiny holes then squeegee around the bubble to work out the air. It takes a little practice but after you have done it once its really simple. If you have any excess that's hanging off the edge you can cut it away later with a razor blade but wait until it fully dry before you do that.

Make sure you get a little extra so you can practice first otherwise you might be making another trip back. The worst if it flips back and sticks to itself when you peel it off the paper. You wont get it apart without ripping it or stretching out of shape.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was going to drop in and recommend vinyl...but I see Kris has already covered that topic extensively lol.

It works great though...I've done this to several tanks and the best part is that it comes right off if you change your mind on what sides to cover.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I used rustoleum universal spray paint and it worked great.