Blue light for refugium?

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hi, I'm considering putting a spare LED light over my refugium and wondering if I should turn off the blue light? Does algae grow under blue light?

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I only run blue leds on my refugium and I have tons of growth on both chaetomorpha and dragons breath

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Best bang for wattage is a full spectrum that is focused in more of the red area. Think high pressure sodium colors for algae vs netal halide for corals. It may not be very noticeable since a lot of factors go into macroalgae growth from competition in main tank to nutrient levels in the water. From a physics perspective, a blue light takes twice as much energy to create the same photon as a red light, but the each photon (assuming it is bot reflected by the pigments) produces the same amount of energy from photosynthesis. Again, there are a lot of other variables to factor in here, but from a simplified physics perspective, you will get more par out a 1W warm white bulb than a 1W royal blue bulb. A few forums at reef central recommend a 2100K bulk.

Optimists say the glass is half full. Pessimists say the glass is half empty. Engineers say the glass is twice the size that it needs to be.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have tested this theory on garden plants and a 150 W HPS had about 30% more growth by dry weight than a 150 W MH. Might be a bit different for macroalgea. I dont have two refugiums otherwise I would do a side by side.

Optimists say the glass is half full. Pessimists say the glass is half empty. Engineers say the glass is twice the size that it needs to be.

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
The light I have is two channels. One channel controls white light, the other controls blue light. Based on the feedback, I'm going to try running with both channels on.

Thanks!

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good call

I normally run a 6500k light and couldnt find one so I got a 10k and my specific cheato didn't like it. 6500k worked best for me but maybe they just dont like to change.