Blue sapphire damsel

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok so I know its a damsel but from What I have read they don't sound like total jerks. Does anyone have experience with these they look like they help keep some possible pest at bay and more colorful than green chromis. Anyone that has had one please chime in

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

First google link that came up pretty much looks like every other damsel description ive seen. Not worth the trouble IMO.
http://www.myfishtank.net/saltwater-fish/damsels/blue-sapphire-damselfish/
"The Blue Sapphire Damselfish originates within the Solomon Islands, and is a brilliant blue coloration with black outlined fins. This species can quickly turn completely black when stressed which allows them to evade predators. Like many of the other damselfish within the Chrysiptera genus, it can become aggressive towards slower moving tank mates. Be sure the aquarium has plenty of live rock for territories and hiding.The Blue Sapphire Damselfish is hardy and is a good fish for beginners. They also make an ideal companion fish for a saltwater aquarium of over 30 gallons, and are safe with corals and invertebrates. As the fish matures it may become aggressive, causing problems with the selection of other species of fish added to the aquarium. If keeping with other damselfish, provide plenty of live rock with multiple hiding places to break up territories and decrease aggression."

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
IMO all damsles are jerks.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would agree that. Most are. What I have read has stated otherwise. So real world experience would help

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Heres some real world experience, 2 years ago I set up my 75 gallon. Once cycled I added 2 blue sapphire damsels as my LFS told me they were very hearty and I wouldnt have any problem acclimating them and keeping them alive. This was all fine and dandy until it came time to add more live stock. Added a lawnmower blenny and with in 24 hours the damsels had him so beat up I couldnt save him, they killed 2 clowns as well over the period of 2 months, clowns that were hosting a nem none the less, how they managed this is beyond me.

Once I finally decided to remove them I had to tear my entire tank apart, every piece of rock and coral had to come out just to net the little B*******, it took an entire day of tear down and re set up just to remove 2 little fish. To this day I have never experienced anything like it with any other fish and I for one will flush a damsel before it goes in my tank.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had a similar experience as ReefChief. Even adding bigger fish did not help. I bought 3 and the biggest killed the other 2, finally when he was beating up on my Niger and had to go, so I tore down my entire 120 to catch him. He went to live in a nice tank with a snowflake eel

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
There ya go, small damsel beating on a trigger = ell food!

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well guess that sums it up. Was just hoping a lot of what I had read was miss identification. But that's two accounts. Dang that sucks.

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew,

I'm sure that we all have had a damsel at one time or another. I still have a velvet damsel in a tank and for the most part he leaves the other fish alone, corals however are a different story. If i place a piece in the area that he likes to swim, he will pick it up and move it. One thing to remember, clowns are damsels as well and many of us keep them in our systems.
I know you would like to hear that someone (at least one person) has had a good experience with this type of damsel but it ultimately comes down to your acceptance of known averages. If you are willing to take the chance that one will behave in your system and also willing to pull it back out if not, then go for it. Just keep a close eye on its behavior and be ready to drop it into the sump until you can find someone else that might want it.
Best of Luck.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ya don't want to take the risk just thought they were a nice looking little fish with a benefit. I have never owned a damsel other then clown or green chromis. Such is life ok time to research my next fish lol

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Different sub species. Let me re phrase, IMO any fish sold as a damsel is going to be a jerk, again, IMO.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well this is raising more questions lol. I have always heard that damsels were mean however I was reading on this one and thought maybe it was excluded. I will be honest I just think they are flashy fish. But I don't want to have to rip my tank apart to get one out.