bristleworm... good or bad?

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
so i found a few (maybe like 6-7) small bristleworms in my fuge part of my sump today. I just don't know if these guys are good or bad. If they are bad, how do i get rid of them? or do they just not do anything at all? a few look like the ordinary and one or two are red on the bodies

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
I would leave them in the sump. They are fantastic scavengers and can make a great addition to the tank. A lot of reefers don't like them in their display, but I think most would agree that they are good in the sump.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think, personally, that they are great in both display and sump. They are awesome parts of your CUC. Now, most people will start taking them out once they get huge, as they may look ugly in the display tank. Personally I've never had one get to that size though.

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think that's what might have gotten me when I was moving the rock around. It felt a sharp pinpoint pain and that was it haha. So they won't eat my corals or anything?

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Arguably the best detrivore in the tank (in my opinion).
If you do get bristles in your fingers, I've had the best luck with either duct tape or soaking my fingers in vinegar for a few minutes.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
matt.radich;162543 said:
But it won't like hurt me right? No crazy bacteria infection or anything?
I don't think it'll cause any kind of like bacterial damage. But it hurts like a mother if you get a lot of them, like sticking your hand with a bunch of little cactus quills or something. I've had the best of luck with duct tape as well.

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haha ok as long as I don't die from it, I can deal with the minor pain I hope, wiping out on cactuses while mountain biking might be able to help me know what the pain could feel like. I will just watch what I'm touching haha