building frag tank ..skimmer suggestions ?

Im putting together a frag tank.
Im using a 36 x 18 x 17 tank
The tank has two ...(forgot what is called ) but has two holes at the top with bulk heads ?

I have a matching stand and have some other extra tanks , so i was going to use a 20 long which fits in the stand ...

I have a Aqua Medic T1000 skimmer that i bought used a while back .
It does not have a pump...

I was wondering if I should use this skimmer or buy another .
Some of the articles I read say that this is a good skimmer but it maybe a little difficult to use .
And i may need two pumps , one to run it and the other to supply it with water from the sump ...

The t1000 has the fittings so that it can fit over the back , but i was planning on putting it in the sump.

I was looking for a pump and the rio 2100 with a needle wheel seems to be an option , but i have read that some people have had a problem with the rio and AM t1000
The step up is the Ocean runner 2500 with needle wheel but cost more...

In the end I just want a plug and play...skimmer ...

On my reef ... I have an ASM G1 skimmer with a Sedra Power head model ksp 3500 ... and i love this ...i think it works really well...

So i guess my question is ...should i continue down the road with the T1000 and look for a pump ....

or should i look for maybe a used ASM , which i am familiar with and seems a little more user friendly ....

Thanks for any suggestions ...

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have an ASM G2 I'm thinking about selling.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a similar aqua medic skimmer and can cant get it to skim for anything... I've tried several different pumps and tried tuning it for weeks, and all it will do is either nothing or fill the cup with water in like 20 mins.