Calcium is at 600. What now?

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Water changes. Why is it so high? What's alk at?

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member

No idea why it's so high. I haven't dosed a thing. I use pre mixed saltwater from elite and they use kent salt mix. I can't find the rest of my tests for the life of me, must have lost them in my move. I am going to test everything tomorrow when I can get a new test kit. I have a Hanna calcium checker that's the only reason why I was able to test my cal.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
before you freak out too much, try a different brand of test kit, and run the calibration fluid for your hanna. I can't imagine any reason it would really be that high without dosing.

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member

Not really freakin out at all just wondering how to get it down. Never had to deal with high always had to deal with getting it up lol.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Calcium is at 600. What now?

I'm in the same boat I checked mine last night with my Hannah and it read 600 too. My alk was 6.4. Going to go buy a different test kit today if I get a chance. I don't dose at all either. Just water changes. I don't have any high calcium coral either. I did add some baking soda just before bed for alk and to raise my pH from 7.96. Following along.

Sent from Earth

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
J.guokas;239968 said:
Not really freakin out at all just wondering how to get it down. Never had to deal with high always had to deal with getting it up lol.
they say that if its up for more than 4 hours to call a doctor...

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Calcium is at 600. What now?

Kent salt is high in calcium. It tests at 550 on fresh batches for us at Premier.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
the only thing bad i see from calc being high is the quickness at which coraline algae grows thus causing you to scrape your glass a hell of a lot more. I normally run mine high at about the 550-600 range...

jagermeister

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 on high calcium not being a big issue.

In the absence of calcium demanding organisms, the only way to lower the calcium in your tank is to switch to a lower calcium salt mix.

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member

Smiley;240001 said:
the only thing bad i see from calc being high is the quickness at which coraline algae grows thus causing you to scrape your glass a hell of a lot more. I normally run mine high at about the 550-600 range...
Well I don't mind a little coraline growth. I guess I won't sweat it

Alk and PH are most important then Mag. But they are all relative to each other. Alk and ph swings will crash a tank. I would be surprised if high or low CA would harm anything short term.

The calcium in my tank was 720 for over 7 months with no side effects. I started using the instant ocean salt and after 3 water changes it dropped to 500. DO NOT use crystal instant ocean, use the regular instant ocean.