can i add new sand on a established tank

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I dont like my sand bed because its a sugar grain sand and dont like the look , can i add a new sand bed on top ???

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
you can, but it will mix in with what ya have...

if i was you, id slowly siphon out sand with each water change over a period of say a month or so... once all out, id slowly add back in new sand over time... until its all in.... do it slow or you should expect a small cycle...

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would not replace much more than 20% of your sand in a quarter. It takes a long time for the anoxic zones and microfauna to establish.

The best kind is the wet stuff. They dry stuff will make a dust storm.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you are gonna add sand, I'd recommend Tropic Eden, wonderful stuff. I've added it to a tank without rinsing, settled clear, amazingly quick.

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So should i shiphon all the sand and then add the new one??

tony02133;272066 said:
So should i shiphon all the sand and then add the new one??
No. You need to keep some of the old sand in the tank. Since it is sugar grain sand, I would expect it to lay on the bottom of the tank you should be able to add your new sand on top. Be sure to test your ammonia levels to determine if you are causing a small cycle. How much sand do your currently have in your tank and how much are you adding?

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have 20 pounds and want to add 20 more

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just add it. I might suggest about 1/4 a week for a few weeks. It will mix up over time, but it will still not look like sugar.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also, you denitrification might be diminished in the time between you covering up your old sand and the bacteria establishes in the new. This is one of the reasons that I suggest a slow add. ...so be ready for some extra water changes if you need them. Basically, you are effecting a ecosystem and there will be consequences, but they will be manageable if you pay attention.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The dry stuff will probably make a huge dust storm. I don't think that you can wash it enough.

I think that live sand is a joke - if the bacteria managed to stay alive in the bag for months and months, or longer, they will have cannibalized themselves to live in that ecosystem and will have to again establish in the different ecosystem of your tank. However, the "live" sand that is in water is very easy to add and has very little "dust," so I think that it is a good choice.

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Munch;272046 said:
If you are gonna add sand, I'd recommend Tropic Eden, wonderful stuff. I've added it to a tank without rinsing, settled clear, amazingly quick.
Im looking for black sand ,i think they dont have it

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
tony02133;272109 said:
Im looking for black sand ,i think they dont have it
Just as a recommendation, I would do some research on using black sand. I personally do not know one person whom uses it or has used it that would use it again and did not totally hate it after using it. Again this is just me and what i have seen, maybe there are several out there who love it and have had no issues.

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;272110 said:
Just as a recommendation, I would do some research on using black sand. I personally do not know one person whom uses it or has used it that would use it again and did not totally hate it after using it. Again this is just me and what i have seen, maybe there are several out there who love it and have had no issues.
What type of sand should i used ???

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
H2O_intolerant;272118 said:
Do you currently have black sand?

Aragonite is what I've used. Brand preference is up to you.
No ,i have white sand

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
DONT USE BLACK SAND. Its magnetic and if you use a mag float to clean your glass / acrylic your gonna end up with scratches.

I would go with wet sand, they call it live sand, but it aint alive.