Chrome homemade Light Reflector- on tank.

Labsalesguy

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So my LED system is positioned towards the front of my aquarium- thus I was getting algae growth quickly on the front panel.

I have a vinyl cutter, so I thought, "Hey I can put a piece of black vinyl on top of the tank"...then I thought, "My chrome vinyl sounds like a better idea!" Since I have done this - algae on the front panel is way down.

Step1: Cut the chrome-4 inches x 30 inches
View attachment 18503

Step2: Mount it:
View attachment 18504

Step 3: here is the inside of my hood
View attachment 18505

Step 4; here is the reflector - thru door with light on.
View attachment 18506

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
What dimensions of vinyl sheets can you get? :p j/k

Great idea. I had done something similar on a FW tank a while back, but used mylar for the reflector instead. Vinyl sure would have been easier to work with...wish I knew this chrome stuff was an option!

Labsalesguy

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes- the chrome vinyl is easy to work with.

I buy my vinyl in 24 inch wide by 10 yard rolls ( my cutter is 24 inches wide). You can buy 12, 15, 24, 30 and 48 inch in wide, by 5, 10 25 and 50 yard lengths, I need to buy some more black- and a 24" x 10 yard roll is about 45 bucks- I really like to work with Oracal performance 751. I have all kinds of colors- I used to do RC car work.

The Chrome you see is Oracal 351-001 - 15 inches x 10 yards- priced at 23.99. Shipping is usually around 10 bucks.