Adding Clownfish to existing tank with a clown

cubuffs

Cleaner Shrimp
Hello,

I have a clown in a 6o gallon tank that has two anemones in it. He is about 2" and I have had him for about 2 years now. He is a black and white ocellaris.

Is it ok to get another clown? If so, could I switch species and get a percula clown too?

Thanks,
Ryan

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Stick with same species and make sure the new one to be introduced is smaller than the one you already have.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
It can be done, but it can be hit or miss. I introduced a lightning maroon to a gold nugget maroon who was already established it took a few isolation attempts but they eventually got it.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I tried this with a couple picassos. At first there was agression from the larger clown that was already established. I put that fish in an acclimation box, which may have helped a bit, but there was still aggression when they were back together. Nothing crazy though. Just territorial. Within a few months they were buddies. Now they have really bonded and stick together.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
ya, you can add another clown, but must make sure its smaller and not a female. If its a female and yours is also a female, they will fight to the death. I wouldnt mix species either as that could end badly too.