Clowng pairing help

About a year ago I purchased a percula (1) from craigslist. It was the only clown in the guy’s tank, so I assumed it to be female.Shortly there after I purchased a black and white ocellaris (2) about half the size of the percula (1). I hoped that it was small enough to still be gender neutral.They are about the same size now.2 weeks ago I bought an anemone and the percula (1) took to it in 3 days. She guards it from all including the ocellaris (2).Yesterday, the 2 clowns were bickering a little and I noticed the ocellaris (2) turning on its side and twitching. An hour later the ocellaris (2) has chased the percula (1) out of the anemone and she is hiding in the corner.This continued through much of the night and this morning and currently the percula (1) is in the anemone with the ocellaris (2) close by. They still seem to be fighting.What is going on with my clowns? Are they in the pairing phase or is the ocellaris challenging the percula to be the dominate female?Thanks,HC

About a year ago I purchased a percula (1) from craigslist. It was the only clown in the guy’s tank, so I assumed it to be female.

Shortly there after I purchased a black and white ocellaris (2) about half the size of the percula (1). I hoped that it was small enough to still be gender neutral.

They are about the same size now.

2 weeks ago I bought an anemone and the percula (1) took to it in 3 days. She guards it from all including the ocellaris (2).

Yesterday, the 2 clowns were bickering a little and I noticed the ocellaris (2) turning on its side and twitching. An hour later the ocellaris (2) has chased the percula (1) out of the anemone and she is hiding in the corner.

This continued through much of the night and this morning and currently the percula (1) is in the anemone with the ocellaris (2) close by. They still seem to be fighting.

What is going on with my clowns? Are they in the pairing phase or is the ocellaris challenging the percula to be the dominate female?

Thanks,HC
Sorry about the formatting, apparently I can't edit my posts

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Clowng pairing help

If they are the same size I'd say they're both females. If you have room, you could go buy 2 baby clowns and another anemone and have 2 pair of clowns. Otherwise get rid of a female and buy a baby.

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
I currently have 4 pairs of clowns and they breed regularly. IMHO they are deciding on dominance and this is perfectly normal behavior. The twitching is how they display.

The good news is it sounds like they've been in your tank long enough to not have any parasites or other factors. I've heard that it can be a bit longer to pair an Osc with a Perc, but it is possible.

As long as no one gets beat up in the process (keep an eye on their fins) let them work things out and soon you'll have a male and a female.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
What size are they?

Also, Im pretty sure that Ocellaris is going to out grow that perc and the 2 different species are fairly difficult to pair up, but it can be done. Ive never tried to pair a perc and a Occelaris so Im not 100% sure, I guess anything is possible and it may be how they get some of these cool highbreds. I know my Occelaris pair is much bigger than my perc pair, my female Occelaris is pushing 4", the male is 2", where as my female percs are about 2" and the males are like 1.5". The Occelaris are more aggressive too, not as aggressive as my cinnamon pair but much more aggressive than the percs. All 4 pairs live peacefully in the same 180gal tank, all on seperate areas of the tank of course.

I would reccomend chosing one or the other and then go out and buy a same species mate, much smaller. Remove the current clown from the DT, put both clowns in a QT for a bit and re add to DT. If the female has already established her dominance she may not pair up, so youll have to break this first.

ReefCheif;254898 said:
What size are they?

Also, Im pretty sure that Ocellaris is going to out grow that perc and the 2 different species are fairly difficult to pair up, but it can be done. Ive never tried to pair a perc and a Occelaris so Im not 100% sure, I guess anything is possible and it may be how they get some of these cool highbreds. I know my Occelaris pair is much bigger than my perc pair, my female Occelaris is pushing 4", the male is 2", where as my female percs are about 2" and the males are like 1.5". The Occelaris are more aggressive too, not as aggressive as my cinnamon pair but much more aggressive than the percs. All 4 pairs live peacefully in the same 180gal tank, all on seperate areas of the tank of course.

I would reccomend chosing one or the other and then go out and buy a same species mate, much smaller. Remove the current clown from the DT, put both clowns in a QT for a bit and re add to DT. If the female has already established her dominance she may not pair up, so youll have to break this first.
They are both about 2 inches in length

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
2" perc is more than likely a female at that size.