Crazy idea hope it works

This might sound really crazy but it's worth a try, so any input from you guys will help.
I am trying to do the mod for my protien skimmer to get more bubbles. I did some research to see what is the best mod out there and looked really closely at my protien skimmer and I came out with the craziest idea. So the skimmer pump is relying on the air inlet to create the bubbles. Which that is created by a vacuum when the pump is spinning. How about if I apply air threw that vacuum hose threw a small air pump, would it create more bubbles?
I work on cars so I know if you are forcing air in the engine by a turbo or supercharger you will get more power. I hope I made sence.
Do you guys think it will work? I am thinking to try it this Saturday.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Crazy idea hope it works

Yup, that would work. You could almost do a mesh wheel mod to your impeller. You could do a recirculating mod.Or just change out your pump. Without knowing which skimmer you have, I can only suggest general mods.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Great idea! Seems that would force a greater ratio of air into the mix? Which I think you want? Not that I know what I'm talking about. Maybe I'll give it a try too. I'd be interested to hear any report back on differences before/after with your skimmer.

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
Blow into the air intake, same effect. I think it would be hard to match the airflow, too much and you get big bubbles which don't skim well, too little, well doesn't skim well. Try it out let us know. Perhaps if you had an adjustable airpump. Depending on the skimmer you're looking at supplying quiet a bit of air.

there is a very fine line between the right amount of air and too much. Like was said above, too much and you get large bubbles. be sure to use a quality air valve that you can make fine adjustments with.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got to thinking. Is it possible this could starve the skimmer pump motor?