CUC Hermit help...?

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
:help:

So my question is... why are my hermits climbing out of the tank? Ive had the occasional hermit climb the silicon seal and hang out at the top... no biggie. Well my tank has about 300lb of live rock and some pieces poke out the top. (plan is to eventually have mangroves so im getting my brain used to the look of a stacked tank). On the pieces that stick out... my hermits do this crap...
View attachment 13801
The water level is half just over the shell on the far left. they do this on all the peaks on the tank. My levels are fine and honestly its only during the day. At night they are scattered in the tank cleaning and doing their job... 6AM this morning i went to get some water and watched the tank for a minute and saw EVERY hermit almost in sync climbing the rocks and corals to the top. By 7:30 when the sun comes through the windows in the living room they were ALL out of the tank and drying out. Light kicks on at like 8 for blues and they are out of water from 730-8am until almost 8-9pm when the blues kick off and moonlights go on.

this sound normal or look normal at all? anyone got an explanation?:confused2:

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
right? i had that problem until i found about 30 snail shells... now i just buy snails from Ambrosio that are smaller than the smallest crab. theyll grow, but this way the crabs never go for them. so far its worked out well... i just cant figure out why in gods name these crabs sit out of water for 12+ hours of the day when theres no predators of them and water levels r fine

Never heard of it, yet I never knew they survived out of the water like a land hermit crab. Makes my want to take my largest zerbra herm out to hold it like its my best friend :)