1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Custom AIO 40 Breeder

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by NDaquarist, Jan 25, 2020.

1. NDaquarist

NDaquarist Copepod

Dr.DiSilicate likes this.
  2. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Going to the reef builders meeting for sure. I’ll bring you a bag!

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

3. NDaquarist

NDaquarist Copepod

Thank you, I appreciate it!

And here are a few more shots of the aquascaping.

IMG_20200214_182316.jpg

IMG_20200214_182309.jpg

IMG_20200214_182512.jpg

4. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Looking great! Can't wait to follow the progress!!

5. NDaquarist

NDaquarist Copepod

I'm happy to announce that the first order had been successful..........no it's not coral or fish, but something much more important!

Flora and invertebrate fauna for the aquarium!

The order:
    250 amphipods

16oz of copepod mix (5 species: Tisbe biminiensis, Acartia tonsa, Parvocalanus crassirostris, Pseudodiaptomus pelagicus, Apocyclops panamensis)

16oz phytoplankton (6 different types: Tetraselmis, Nannochloropsis, Isochrysis, Pavlova, Thalassiosira, Weissflogii, Synechococcus)

Seagrass (Syringodium filiforme)

I ordered all of this through rusalty.com. I would highly recommend them if you would like to give an invertebrate boost to your aquarium.

The amphipods came in looking a little rough (there was no heat pack in the box which I found odd) I emailed them and got a response within a few hours. They informed me that they don't typically put heat packs with pods because they can withstand the cold well. I need only acclimate them and they would be okay, after acclimation I think I only saw 1 body floating everyone else took off to hide in the aquarium.

I accidentally cut a small hole in the bag when I put it in to float and quite a few amphipods took off so this is not the entire amount received.

54811.jpeg

The seagrass planted well and over the next week I'll see how it pans out in it's new home. (The mesh net is from the amphipods bag, I transfered it with some amphipods for the fuge to have as well).

IMG_20200220_103110.jpg

I only put half of the bag of copepods in the aquarium, the other half I added to a glass jar I had so I can culture them. I'll split the culture every week or 2 and keep it going as long as I can.

IMG_20200220_114628.jpg

After a couple of weeks I'll look to add the more charismatic species to the aquarium.

6. flagg37

flagg37 Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Did you finish your stand and canopy with polyurethane or anything?

7. NDaquarist

NDaquarist Copepod

I did not, unfortunately building it in an apartment isn't conductive to painting/staining. As it's an all in one system I'm not as worried about salt creep/overflowing/leaky plumbing as I would be if I had a sump (I would definitely have to figure out a way to seal it then).