DaLovesJ's 14 G Biocube

Hey everybody! So I know our tank isn't a "build" but I thought I'd post some pictures of our new tank. We got our 14 G Biocube about a month ago. It just finished cycling a couple of days ago. We plan on adding some corals, a clown, and maybe a pistol shrimp/goby pair. We just ordered our CUC from Reef Cleaners, and in the mean time we have a little emerald crab who we moved in yesterday. He was eating like a champ from the moment we dropped him in. I haven't seen him this morning, but hopefully he's just hiding. Any advice you can give us would be very much appreciated!

Amanda

Badgervet

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome! Going slow is definitely a must! I couldn't see for sure from the picture but have you considered a powerhead to help with the flow and to avoid any dead spaces. The more rock you have, the more likely you'll have some dead spots in the tank. I've got a 14 biocube as well and upgraded the return pump and have a koralia nano to help generate flow and current. If your running the power compact lights, you should be able to grow most LPS/zoas, just remember to replace the lights every 9 months to 1 year.

We actually added the same extra powerhead yesterday! It's flowing like crazy in there now. :) We couldn't resist and bought a litlle O. clown pair tonight (Peg and Al). They are hanging out together exploring the tank. We took over an hour to drip acclimate them, and they seem to be doing good. Even Harry the emerald crab came out when we turned the pump off. The kids are loving the fish and so are we!

[attachment=64189:name]

The obsession continues...

We just added our first corals to the tank last night. We picked up a zoa and a frogspawn frag from D&G. After being in the tank for about a half an hour they were both opening up. Today everyone looks pretty happy. We are still trying to decide on placement for them...Right now I have the froggy somewhat away from the main rocks towards the front of the tank. The zoas are on the very bottom of the main rock display. We are thinking of cutting them off their plugs and gluing them in place but we're not sure if this is the best move. We're a little unsure about the best placement for these guys due to the light. Also, we have been getting conflicting opinions about feeding them. Any opinions would be very welcome!

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am a beginner but i used coral frenzy and just added it to a heavy flow area, and maybe once a week i did a target feed with it i had the same corals you do and they did fine until i let my tank go to crap.

mathewkofalk;238547 said:
I am a beginner but i used coral frenzy and just added it to a heavy flow area, and maybe once a week i did a target feed with it i had the same corals you do and they did fine until i let my tank go to crap.
Thanks! I will have to pick some up. We are planning a trip down to FoCo either Friday or Sat to pick up a cleaner shrimp so hopefully they have some!

Today we did a 20% water change, and while I was sucking some of the crap off the rocks my whole rock scape came tumbling down. My zoa was on the bottom of the pile. I dusted her off and put her back and she opened back up a while later. I do have to say that corals are crazy. The fact that they close up, move, and react to things is amazing to me. THEY'RE ALIVE!!! :)

I've been a little worried about Peg and Al the clownfish. I noticed a few (like 3) on them earlier today and freaked out. I really hope it's not ich. A little later they were swimming side by side in front of the pump and when I looked again the spots were gone. They are acting fine and eating so I'm hoping it was just stuff from the tank getting stuck on them. I am already pretty attached to these guys, and not to sound completely nuts, but I think they like me...

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Re: DaLovesJ's 14 G Biocube

Tank looks great, nice start!!! I look forward to watching the progress too!!!

We made a trip down to Great White today and picked up our first skunk cleaner shrimp, Bob (thanks for the name suggestion, Smiley...lol). He almost jumped out of the bowl into my dog's mouth while we were trying to put him into the tank but we caught him just in time. Yeesh. He hasn't come out from behind the rocks yet, probably from being scared s$&@less earlier, or because my clowns were nipping at him right when he got in the tank. Poor Bob. I'll try to get a good pic tomorrow. Also, we love Great White. :) Harry the emerald crap has been more out and about lately. He caused a rock to come tumbling down, with him on it, today but all is well. Here's a picture of him shortly before the crash:

CRW Reef;238685 said:
Tank looks great, nice start!!! I look forward to watching the progress too!!!
Thank you! We love it!

Today I noticed some little black spots on Al the clownfish. After a little research, I discovered that the spots are caused by stings from a coral, usually when the fish is trying to host it. Sure enough I looked over at the tank and saw, what only could be described as tiny little coral arms sticking out of the frogspawn stinging my clown! They haven't left it alone all day. He's fighting them off though. Bob the skunk shrimp is starting to get comfortable in his new home, although the fish aren't letting him clean them yet. They're probably too busy terrorizing the frogspawn. This aquarium stuff is wild, man. :)