Danner mag drive 7 or 9.5?

Tony44

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a 60 gal tank with a 26 gal sump in the basement. I am pumping up about 10'. The specs on the 7 pump state 90 gph at 10' which seems to me to be not enough also during power failures the pump often will not pickup suction again unless the impeller is nearly new. I am considering going to the 9.5 however pump spec states 450 gph @10' with my 1/2" piping I am sure my rate will be somewhat less than the 450. The way I return water back to the tank is to pump to the bottom of the tank with a pipe across 50% of the tank with 3/16" holes to across the pipe to reduce any dead spots. I could use a bypass at the sump to reduce flow back to the main tank. What are others thoughts on going to a 9.5?

GiraffeCat

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would go with the 9.5 as a minimum. Maybe a 12 depending on type of plumbing and actual height - as in how many elbows/reducers/couplers, and is the HIGHEST point of the pipe ONLY 10 feet? The 7 is going to be busting a nut a ten feet. You could always double sump it - big in basement with the huge pump, skimmer , etc. - and a small one just for tank reasons underneath.

I use a MAG 12 to go from my sump to the tank with a five foot rise (Floor of sump to top of pipe is just over 59 inches). That is the rise, PLUS it has to pump through two barbed adapters on 1 inch flex tubing, 3/4 inch PVC, the PVC elbow, and through the flexible outlet. (It's for my AGA 72 gallon bow front tank with single overflow.) If you are worried about too much flow, then just tee the line and add a ball valve to regulate.

Better to have a pump run easy than to beat the crap out of it. I started off with a 5, then 7, then 9.5, and now happy with the 12 for flow reasons. The Mag Drive pumps have a great track record. Keep a spare on hand for cleaning reasons. Let us know what you decide, and how it is working.:photo:

Just my opinion,

GC

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I run a Mag 12 and it will do about 800 GPH up 12 feet. I welcome the heat in the bigger system - the heaters don't run as much when it is running.

I would use 3/4 soft tubing for less bends and more flow.

Tony44

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks guys I ordered the 9.5 and should have it later this week I'm going to change my piping to 3/4" I already have the flex hose in 3/4 I'll let you know how it all works out.

Tony44

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here is a picture of my sump after I changed the piping to 3/4" and installed the 9.5 Danner pump. Corals seem to be doing better but still not seeing much growth. This has been set up for about two weeks.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lack of growth can be from so many thing. Happy to help, but will need a full set of tank params, what you are keeping and what lights.

GiraffeCat

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;327046 said:
Lack of growth can be from so many thing. Happy to help, but will need a full set of tank params, what you are keeping and what lights.

+1

Always remember:
Patience is a virtue. Hurry the F*** Up is not.

Late,
GC

Tony44

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here are the params I ran tonight
Alk. 9.2
Ca 400
Mg. 1150
K. 0
Sal. 1.024
I have my 250 watt 14k two of them they run 8 hrs also actinic power compacts four 55 watt they run 2 he's in am shutoff when my come on then again when my shut off. The pcls run 3 hrs in the evening. Then 4 blue LEDs run about 4 hrs. The tank is dark from 11 pm until 7:30 am
I change 5-6 gal of water every two weeks. I generally run about 3/4 cup of charcoal and 1/4 cup of gfo. I have zoas, scans, Monti, kloves, red and blue mushrooms, Tonga blue. Percula clowns, blue damsel and yellow wrasse. That's about it I think