Dark question, fish euthanasia

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Thankfully in this case it isn't for my SW fish, but for at least one of my pond goldfish. It has a bad case of dropsy, it's belly is the size of a tennis ball. All of the info I have read said if not caught early, the damage is irreversible. So rather than let it suffer, I started thinking about euthanizing it. There are so many methods online, that seem to get pretty crazy. Freezing it, cutting head off, bashing head, I saw one that said put in bag and drive over it with your car. Clove oil, alka seltzer, letting nature take it's course, etc, etc.

I just wondered if there was a preferred method? The affected fish is in the 6 to 8 inch range.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I've only used clove oil before, worked well for me. Only ever had to do that once before though for a large catfish I used to have, but went painlessly from what I recall

Ambrosio Aquatics

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Clove oil is what i have seen most commonly used. i think dr q(the koi vet) uses clove oil. i have also see the cold water method you basically but the fish in a container and add cold water or ice to drop the temp but probably wouldn't work to well with a cold water fish

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Would dry ice in a cooler be faster than a freezer.
When spearfishing we use knife right between the eyes because its instant death. Might be hard on a pet fish but its instant.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk