Diesel mechanic help?

katyttt

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anyone with experience with a 2005 ford f 350, 6.0 diesel that ran fine one night and won't start the next, turns over fine but no smoke or anything close to starting. Hate to have to tow it to a dealer, Yikes!

Diesel mechanic help?

Cheaper place to start but, if it was running fine one day ant then won't start at all the next... Normally the filter won't completely clog overnight and not without running on the rough side first. If you can have some lay under the truck while you turn the key to the on position, they should be able to hear the fuel pump kick on when the key first goes into the on position. Should hear it for about 2-3 seconds.

Also if you don't hear it at all, try knocking pretty hard on the bottom of the tank with the key is on the on position. It may start working again but it will be temporary.

mikea213

Cleaner Shrimp
Re: Diesel mechanic help?

Use to work on those all the time the fuel pump works off the high volume oil pump its located at the front of the engine at the top. Try giving it a shot of starter fluid and if it trys to run look there if not egr is the next its located under the turbo.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

katyttt

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow, you are all awesome. I posted this last night and then had to help my son with his homework, my wife turned off the computer before I got into bed. I am just now able to check and all these responses. Thank you.
I will try the tests you recommended tomorrow after work. My brother left us the truck after moving to Qatar and I know nothing about diesel.

Thanks again,

mikea213

Cleaner Shrimp

I forgot to add make sure the glow plug light is turning on and off if not check the relay for it.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 on the fuel pump relay. If you don't hear the pump click when someone turns the key, I'd check there first. As others stated...usually if a filter clogs or a pump goes bad, you have some rough idling and poor acceleration beforehand as a warning sign.

If you don't get a click, figure out where the relay is and see if there are any relays for headlights/turn signals, etc that are the same size. Swap the relays and see if the pump turns on after that...if so, then you've found your problem.

Another possibility for you, being that my car had the same symptoms recently, is a bad camshaft position sensor. I went through all the diagnostic steps above and found no issues, but the car just wouldn't start some days. Finally the check engine light came on and the car threw the code for the camshaft sensor. It's typically a cheap/easy fix and another thing to consider with your truck suddenly not starting...my car was running fine, then *poof* just wouldn't start sometimes when I went to turn the key.

katyttt

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
My son went into the ER at Littleton hospital two nights ago and to Children's hospital last night with asthma issues, so I have not even had a chance to do anything with the truck. He is back home and doing some better tonight.
Thanks again for the advice, I will post when I have a chance to try to use it.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Sorry to hear, hope he bounces back soon...this allergy season has been a rough one for asthmatics.

katyttt

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
He is doing better today, thank you. We have someone coming to look at the truck tomorrow, I have no idea what I am doing. Will keep you guys posted though. Thank you again,

katyttt

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
A boyfriend of a co-worker stopped by and used his diagnostic equipment and came up the FICM is bad, the fuel injector control module. He said it is farly common on this motor and ford had many problems with the 6.0 diesil. He offered to tow it to his shop to work on it not this weekend but the next. Sounds expensive to me?

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Diesel mechanic help?

All depends on how much a ford FICM is. And where they put it. Was it not responding at all? Or was there a specific set of tests he ran to determine that the computer was bad as apposed to wiring?

mikea213

Cleaner Shrimp

Hmm I have seen them test bad and not be it. Its on the drivers side in the firewall and no there not cheap at all. I would pull your fuel filter cover off have someone turn the key and crank it and see if your getting flow. Check the little stuff first before you dump $1000+ for the module and what ever they charge you for labor.

katyttt

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
We are hoping to get it fixed and sell it and pick up another truck, this one is way too much trouble for me, I have no idea about diesel and no time to learn. Plus it is more truck than we need. Thanks again everyone

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can repair that module yourself. Most likely the solder joints have vibrated dry, just need re-flowed. You might consider trying this if before you dump a bunch of cash in. There are DIYs all over the internet.