1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

DIY Algae Scrubber

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Projects' started by Diddle822, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Diddle822

Diddle822 Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

So wondering if anyone has done a DIY algae scrubber. Googled a few and got some good ideas but also wondering what others have done. Seen a lot made with large reactors and LED strip/tape light.

2. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

http://marinecolorado.org/threads/l...-green-hair-bubble-turf-and-slime-algae.5897/
    ton of good ideas in here.
    The ones with reactors are mostly Cheato reactors, designed to grow cheoto more effectively, but an ATS works a bit different in that it is designed to grow hair algae not cheato. Reactors would have a hard time with hair algae after a time I think, as cheato is easier to clean out for the most part.
    Planning one for my big tank that will basically be an acrylic box about the size of a computer case. Water fed in through the top, via the return pump. Water will trickle down some screens an out the bottom, back to the sump. Likely use a red LED grow lamp on each side of the box to.

3. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Its extremely hard ime to get the slit right for flow on the ats.. I went back to cheatoy

4. ryewalk84

ryewalk84 Copepod

I’ve done a few variations of them. One where I had a high level baffle in my sump that I clipped the screen onto and water would flow down it and then an upflow one. The way I designed the upflow it was a pain to clean. The other was super nice but I never got a good light on it to really get good growth going.