Do fish sleep?

fonduecat

Cleaner Shrimp
I can think of no better way to describe it than sleeping, but one of my clownfish goes into the same corner every night and "sleeps". The first time we caught him doing it, we thought he was dead. He sticks his fins out for balance and just stays there. He even let us touch him (when we were trying to see if he was a goner). If he falls to the side, he swims normally, then goes back down to continue his snooze. Has anyone else seen this behavior? He's been doing it for weeks now, but during the day he's a normal swimming fish. I attached a picture of him. At first I thought it was because he previously hosted in an anemone and was making due, but we put an anemone in the tank 2 weeks ago and he could care less about it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Give him some time to find the nem. My clowns did the same for a few weeks before making their way to the nem.

Fish most definitely sleep...wedged in rocks, tucked under the sand, on a comfy ledge. My clowns show the same behavior at night in their nems. You can try feeding the tank with a turkey baster and blowing food at the nem...my clowns started hanging out closer to the nem when I did this, and took to it a few days later.

goslugsgo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
They do sleep in varying capacities depending on species. Some even make a mucous 'sleeping bag'.

fonduecat

Cleaner Shrimp
jahmic;283619 said:
Give him some time to find the nem. My clowns did the same for a few weeks before making their way to the nem.

Fish most definitely sleep...wedged in rocks, tucked under the sand, on a comfy ledge. My clowns show the same behavior at night in their nems. You can try feeding the tank with a turkey baster and blowing food at the nem...my clowns started hanging out closer to the nem when I did this, and took to it a few days later.
That's a great idea for getting the clowns closer to the anemone! I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one who has a clown that does that. I didn't know what to think of it. The other clown seemed to keep prodding him to wake up. :) I guess I've never seen my other fish sleep since the goby lives under a rock and my wrasse crams into a cave.

My two clowns sleep in the corner of my tank behind a rock. Its cute. My tank is in my office so I don't get to see it often. I have gone into the office late at night and seen them.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
My clowns must be weird, I've never seen them lay on the ground to sleep. They always go into the corner and "sleep" vertically. Male and female face eachother and just keep themselves against the glass corner.

wait...did I say it was cute. I meant its badass :shame:

fonduecat

Cleaner Shrimp
01M5PWR;283636 said:
wait...did I say it was cute. I meant its badass :shame:
I never thought of describing fish sleep as badass. Do they have heavy metal playing in the background as their lullaby?

I'm a bit jealous, I wish I could set up a tank in my office.

fonduecat;283638 said:
I never thought of describing fish sleep as badass. Do they have heavy metal playing in the background as their lullaby?

I'm a bit jealous, I wish I could set up a tank in my office.
Ya I love having my tank in my office.

I've always wanted to set up a little nano on my desk but worry about what could happen over weekends.

Good_GReef;283731 said:
I've always wanted to set up a little nano on my desk but worry about what could happen over weekends.
I'm looking at going the other way around. Nano at home with the 120 at work.

You've lost your mind now, lol. It would be awesome to watch - I'd have to hire a maintenance crew to service mine. I'm just going to buy a clownfish and carry it every day in a ziploc in my lunchbox. Plop the ziploc onto my desk, voilah! Nano! jk

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good_GReef;283767 said:
You've lost your mind now, lol. It would be awesome to watch - I'd have to hire a maintenance crew to service mine. I'm just going to buy a clownfish and carry it every day in a ziploc in my lunchbox. Plop the ziploc onto my desk, voilah! Nano! jk
ROFLOL!!! I just spit coffee out all over my keyboard!

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good_GReef;283767 said:
Bwahahhahaha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk