Drilling holes

Is there a company people use to have holes drilled in there tank for overflows? I'd be ok with someone who has done it before help me out as well.

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I have drilled my tank using the kit from glassholes.com if you want to pickup the kit i would be willing to help drill where you located and welcome to the club BTW

Thanks! Im gonna do a a herbie style overflow with two one inch drains that should fit into one of the overflows from brs. I got the holesaw and bulkheads from them too. Im in northglenn

That would be awesome. I just placed the order yesterday so it should be here by Friday I'm thinking. this weekend would work just fine!

For sure I'm not terribly worried. It's on a 40b so at least they are cheap. I'd be willing to try it myself but I do not have an area that I can do it safely.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Drilling holes

Just cool with water! Make a reservoir with some plumbers putty and go slow. Let the weight of the drill ouch the bit. Don't exert pressure. It's pretty easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would but I live in an apartment so getting water out to the deck can be problematic. I think two people on the job will make it cleaner and easier. We shall see I suppose haha. I'm pretty excited though because the stand is about done and the tank should be done this weekend. So next weekend I should be able to plumb and test for leaks! I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel :)

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Drilling holes

I did mine in the living room. New carpet and all. No big deal. Slow rpm and a couple of old towels. Good luck. The build is half the fun! Enjoy it while it lasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I drilled mine right on top of hard wood floors, didn't get the floor wet at all. Once your hole goes all the way through all the water drains onto the other side of the tank. Put a towel opposite from the side your drilling so the cut out doest fall onto the other panel.

I might try it but I'm still debating it haha. One question I do have is will i have enough clearance inside of the brs 1200 GPH overflow box? It measures 6 1/4" by 5" tall. Each hole measures 1.75" and I need two.

I just did the math. We should have around 2 3/4" wiggle room. I'm going to put the holes caddy corner to one another with the emergency drain above it. Or I should be able to drill them parallel to one another on the bottom and still space the holes by about 2 inches I think.

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I have an appt tomorrow at 1130 to listen to an engine I'm buying but other than that I'm free all weekend I'll be working around the house Ken 303-803-3934

I hope you got my text but if not ill put it here too. I was talking to Marc at about fish and he said he's willing to drill them for 20 bucks so I figured I'd let a pro do it. I appreciate the offer of help though!