Extension Cables?

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anyone know if I can use usb extension cables to hook up an additional eb8 about 25ft away? if so, i notice there are usb, usb 2.0, and usb 3.0. whats the difference in cables and which will work with the apex?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Usually for USB cables over 15ft you need some sort of a repeater inline with the cable in order to boost the signal. I say usually because you can get away with a passive extension cable if you do not have a need for high speed data transfer...so something like hooking up a memory card reader hooked up at a distance would be OK, but you couldn't just plug in an external HD and run a 25ft extension to it for whatever reason.

That being said, I looked it up and the Apex uses a 12 volt USB port, so it's not the same as a standard 5 volt port...which means you need a special cable.

Found this, pricey but it's probably your best bet:

http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-apex-xxg.html

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
excellent source! ill definitely be ordering a 100ft in the near future... this time i only need 15ft... can i use a standard usb as long as its 15' or less?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't wanna give a definitive answer to claim that it'd be OK with your equipment...but in the past I haven't had issues hooking up a standard 5-Volt cable to a 12-volt port. I'm not sure what the risk would even be, but I do know that it's at least possible.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've read that they said to not use a standard USB cable with the Apex system. Something about the resistance being different or something.