1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Fish ID from the Maldives

Discussion in 'General Reefkeeping Discussion' started by TheRealChrisBrown, Jan 29, 2020.

1. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

My inlaws just returned from a 2 week live aboard in the Maldives, 3 deep water dives per day. The took these pictures of a Box Fish, and were having a difficult time finding it's name. If I had to venture a guess it's maybe a juvenile yellow spotted box fish that is transitioning?

These 2 are their pictures of fish in question:

Screenshot 2020-01-29 at 7.51.02 AM.png

Screenshot 2020-01-29 at 7.51.30 AM.png

And this is a pic from the web of what I think the full adult might look like (Ostracion Cubicus):
    108514331-boxfish-ostracion-cubicus-in-the-maldives.jpg

What do you guys think? I know we have some expert fish ID'ers out there!

2. jda123

jda123 Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

Bottom one is likely a male Ostracion Meleagris - or white spotted boxfish. Females are different. I am no expert, though.

Their patters can be so aberrant and also change from juvi to adult that you might never find out. :(

3. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

TheRealChrisBrown likes this.
  4. jda123

jda123 Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

5. scchase

scchase Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Same genus different species top fish is a female adult Ostracion cubicus bottom is a male
    Ostracion meleagris

6. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Thank you @jda123 @MuralReef @scchase , I'll let the in-laws know.

They sent me a pic of a powder blue tang and said it was like 12 inches long. I said it looks just like mine....so unless they start having the fish pose next to a beer can I can't trust their size estimates. lol. They do not think I am amusing.

7. scchase

scchase Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Masks make all the fish look bigger though Powder Blues to get to 9" so not too far off with the mask magnification

8. TheRealChrisBrown

I'm still pushing for beer can sizing pics....