Flame angel in 30 gallon mixed reef. Too much of a risk??

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I really want to add another fish to my tank and I have always wanted an angel. Flame angels have been a favorite of mine forever and was wondering what you guys think. Is it too much of a risk? I know a couple people have had good luck with them so I'm really thinking about it.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I used to have one in my 24g aquapod with no issues at all. Just kept him fed and he didn't touch any of my corals.

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
It is hit or miss on if it will nip at your corals, but it certainly will outgrow that tank pretty quickly.

They need 75gallons or so as a bare minimum, and really closer to a 120 or 150 to be really happy.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
They can live just fine in smaller tanks depending on how many other inhabitants. In all honesty if you were putting a small one in your 30 he should probably be the only inhabitant. As you know I keep both a flame and coral beauty in my 75 wiht not one issue, they even swim together from time to time.

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Went to elite today and decided against an angel. I'll wait until I upgrade and get one then. I got a nice looking wrasse and another fish that I will start another thread about shortly.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just added one to my 250. I feed a lot, however he still likes to taste my sps. There is plenty in there for him to taste so I am not too concerned. However in a 30 there may not be enough sps for the corals to deal with the occasional nipping/tasting. My Klein butterfly and regal angel also like to do the taste test...but corals are doing ok.

I've had a flame angel in my 120 for 3 weeks and keep him fed and he is behaving. He picks at pods and algae. I hear they like sps... I don't have any so...