Flame angel stories

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So how's your flame angel been in your reef?

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
powdermonkey said:
Did you get the chance to read Copps TOTM. He talks about his success and why he believes people fail with angles.
I did not. At reef central?

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
That was a good read. I feel like I can do it and not really worry now. Who has kept or is keeping a flame angel?

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I did read this. While reading the totm at RC his biggest thing he talked about is keeping your corals healthy I think that's an important thing just like fish. If a fish isn't healthy I feel that most other fish seem to pick on them more rather than leaving them alone. I'm amazed at how many angels he had in his tanks. And they are dominated with all types of corals.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I currently have 3 angels in my reef (mixed with lps, softies, zoas, sps, clams, etc) and the current cast does not nip (that I have seen). I have a flame, pygmy cherub and bellus. I have had a couple of Regal angels as well but my luck is bad with them as they are very very hard fish to keep. In the past I have also had coral beauty's, rocky beauty, lemon peel, black nox and a watanabei.

I will say that of all the angels that I personally have had flame angels are the worst nippers. Flames are my wife's favorite fish so I had to have one in my current reef. I went through 4-5 flames before I got one that didn't nip. Every one I had nipped at SPS and fleshy lps. Just have a fish trap ready and be prepared to take it out since they are more likely to nip then not.

Also, IMO fish do not nip out of hunger, they do it out of curiosity and instinct. I feed my tank heavy, 3 times a day, this does not deter nipping.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hmm well that really sways me haha. So out of the angels what would you recommend to your fellow reefer to have I think they are all beautiful but like your wife mine likes them as well.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
I agree that flames are the worst nippers. I have kept coral beauties with no problems, and I currently have a cherub Pygmy that has been great. I love flame angels but have not had much luck with them.

my cb was an acan nipper. He used to nip my duncan, and my kenya. I moved them, and I haven't seen him nip anything but zoas since... and the zoas don't seem to care.

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have had flames,regal,potters , and flamebacks. The only one I had a problem with was the regal. He developed a taste for first zoas then scans after 2 years in my tank with no probs

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I really like the potters he's a really cool fish. So keeping them feed doesn't seem to keep them from nipping? I've got a lot of scans and zoas and would hate to see them get nipped.

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
09bumblebee;168853 said:
I really like the potters he's a really cool fish. So keeping them feed doesn't seem to keep them from nipping? I've got a lot of scans and zoas and would hate to see them get nipped.
I don't think it helps. I didn't change anything when the regal started eating the zoas. One day they were just all gone. I have to add that I have a 240 reef, so maybe I just couldn't tell