Four clowns in a 55?

rplank

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I already have a pair of clowns in my 55 and am wondering if I can put another pair in there? No maroons. I have a regular clown and a snowflake, and want to add two black/whites. Other stock are Blue Spotted Watchman Goby with shrimp, 2 Chromis, a Scooter Blenny, and a Mandarin Dragonette.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
My suggestion would be no. I had two occelaris clowns in my 360 thinking I had enough space to add 2 more and I was wrong. My female had not paired with the male in the tank so when I added two more males they beat up the existing male. Even though one of the new males was 1/2" smaller than the existing male they beat him up. If I hadn't moved him to the sump they would have killed him.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Yup not a typo. My classroom tank measures 4' x 6' x 2'. They could not get along. They chased the existing male relentlessly.

Justin144

Butterfly Fish
Don't do it unless all added at the same time. Even at that point there would eventually be a trio ( one female two males) and one outcast. I would urge you not to.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
yep dont try it, generally ends in disaster or with dismantling the tank to remove them. The only way you could get away with it if you didnt add them all at the same time would be if the new ones were juveniles and still neutral sex. So they would have to be tiny babies, but i would only try this in a large tank, a 55 would be just asking for trouble

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
rplank;328380 said:
Would it make any difference at all if I had more than one nem for them to host in?
Nope, in a tank that small the existing pair will claim dominance over any nem in the tank

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I tried it in my 60. It seemed to be of for maybe 3 weeks then went down hill fast. Once everyone settled in the beatings began and I ended up losing the two most expensive ones of course.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Even in Mike Drumm's Monster tank he had there was one dominant pair that lived in his Sunburst. The other three or four he had always just stayed up in the top corner out of site. Anytime another one would come down and try to host in his frog spawn that was no where near the Sunburst, the dominant pair would swim over to chase them away. Clown fish are sex changing, biting little A HOLES!!! The untold Finding Nemo Story. lol

RuRoo

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Only do it if you introduce all clowns at once. I have 4 in my 60.